Thursday, March 29, 2007

What If the Diagnosis Were Yours?

Ever since Elizabeth Edwards made the announcement that her cancer had returned but that they were going forward with her husband's presidential campaign, there has been a lot of conversation about whether she's doing the right thing. And while it's tempting to jump in with an opinion, the truth is that it's not really our place to decide whether it's "right" or "wrong." It's not our life, our campaign, our cancer. It's not our decision.

What I think most people are trying to comprehend, however, is what they would do in her position. What if they were the one diagnosed with cancer that is not curable, but is treatable? How would they choose to live?

I see many people answering that they'd quit their jobs, that they'd stay home with family and friends, that they'd do--with family and friends in tow--all the things they've always wanted to do. I think that's instinctively what we all think. But my question is, why aren't we doing that now? If these are the things that are important to us, the things that would make our lives "complete," then why are we forsaking them for other things? In one sense, we've all been dying ever since the day we were born. That's the direction we're all headed in. And we all don't get the "benefit" of knowing how much time we have left. We all assume a good 80 or so years, but that's not always the case. There's not always time to tie up the loose ends, check everything off the list. So why not do now all the things that we want to do before we die?

And isn't it a little bit romantic to think that we could all just quit our jobs and have our spouses quit their jobs just because death is approaching? There will still be bills to pay (in fact, there will be more). You'll need the health insurance. And you might just need the release of something like a job, where you can maybe forget for a little bit about your situation.
Plus doesn't anyone else find it a little morbid to just sit at home and wait to die? If it's a matter of weeks or days, that's one thing...Of course you would want to be home with those who mean the most to you. But with a cancer like that of Elizabeth Edwards (and many others), it's a matter of years. That's a lot of life, a lot more than many "healthy" people will live to see.

So, anyhow, the point I'm getting around to is that, inspired by all these conversations about her diagnosis, I've taken a look at my life to see how I'd live it if I were to ever face such a situation. And the good news is that I don't think I'd make any big changes. I would just do more of what it is that I do now. I'd going on more hikes, take more bike rides, travel more, go home more, eat more good food, write more, go outside more, read more, love more. I'd fight harder for the things I care about. I wouldn't make any drastic alterations, start doing things that I'm not already doing. I'd just do more of them. And since, like I said before, there's no way of knowing how much time we have, I'm going to try to start doing that now. We don't need a diagnosis to start living life the way we want to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Most of us don't get a heads up about when death will come. Maybe we all will start living life more. Now I just have to convince your dad that I really do need to take more vacations and enjoy life more!

Anonymous said...

As an individual yet to participate in the "real world", I feel as though I can't officially answer the question. However with the situation I am in, I will say I wouldn't change a single thing. I think I'd love to do this (travel) or that (sky dive) but then it seems as though I'd only be doing that because I'm dying.

I'm fairly easy going so whatever I am doing is usually what I want to be doing. Be it watching Myth Busters or having beer with a group of friends, I'm always having a good time. I take things in stride realizing the time for travel and sky diving will come.

Matthew said...

I think Tim McGraw wrote a rather annoying song about this topic.

Personally, I'm reminded of the quote from the movie, Dazed and Confused:

"Well, all I'm saying is that I want to look back and say that I did I the best I could while I was stuck in this place. Had as much fun as I could while I was stuck in this place. Played as hard as I could while I was stuck in this place... Dogged as many girls as I could while I was stuck in this place."

I'm not exactly sure what the phrase "played as hard as I could" means in this context, but I like it.

And, I think the idea of quitting your job seems rather overrated. I'm on the record on two accounts: I never want to win the lottery and would never quit my job if diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Theresa said...

Yeah, I agree that the Time McGraw song is annoying.

But I'm certainly not opposed to winning the lottery. I have so many good ideas about what I'd do with it, but most of them involve other people. It's always, "I'd love to take so and so here or buy so and so this." I think I could do a lot of good with my lottery winnings! However, I'm certainly not counting on winning, especially since we only play like once a year, and I'm pretty happy with my non-lottery winning life.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure at this exact moment I'm doing everything in life I would hope to do. And in the coming months, there seems to be tons more to keep me on the path to making the most of it. So, Greg, my friends were thinking of skydiving this summer...it seems to be on your list...

Laura said...

After having lost a couple cousins at very young ages (both still in high school) I think the most important thing you can do is just make sure that you don't take your relationships with the people around you for granted. I try to make sure that my family members and close friends always know how much I love and care for them and any time I have to say good bye to someone, even if I know I'll be seeing them again in a few hours I always think to myself, "what if this is the last time I see this person? Would I be satisfied with the way I left things?" I might regret not ever taking that trip to southeast Asia, but I would regret even more not making sure that the people close to me knew how I felt about them.

Now that I've said that: Theresa I think you're great and I'm so glad that we met and became friends even though we don't get to see each other very often. You're one of the smartest people I know and I love that fact that you have such a strong social conscience and put your intelligence to good use :)

Theresa said...

Aw, thanks, Laura! I'm also so glad to have you as a friend. You'll have to head out to DC at some point, so we can get together!

And I think you have a good point. It is definitely the people that matter most.