Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Love Might Be Too Strong a Word

There's not really a lot of love lost between me and Houston. It's not my favorite city. It's not one of my 100 favorite cities. It's not even one of my 1,000 favorite cities (even though I haven't even been to nearly 1,000 cities). You get the point. So when I went to Houston at the beginning of February with the intent of writing an article about the city, I was a bit nervous. I don't mind being honest, but I was afraid I'd just come across as negative. There are, after all, people who like Houston, people who voluntarily move there. Weird, I know. But I think I managed to pull off a pretty good article. Check it out yourself. I doubt it convinces you to make a trip to the Bayou City, but perhaps it will give you a few good ideas of things to do if you ever find yourself there.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Yeah, I thought you came across as very positive :) Isn't it strange to go back to a place where you spent such formative years with a different/adult perspective? I went back to Seattle last August and it was an interesting experience to be there as a visitor rather than a resident. I think I appreciated it a bit more (and it helped that I wasn't poor anymore).

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I just read your article about Houston. I haven't been there since I was 16, and I can say it seems to have really changed. Although, I think you have a knack for finding really interesting places that other people miss. I must say I would go for the plate size pancakes. I would really enjoy the funeral museum, I would love to hear more about that. I see Granpa rubbed off on you, he always said he could worship God better in the great outdoor rather than in a church with a bunch of hypocrites, and those" churches of nature" seem absolutely gorgeous! We always enjoy all art museums! Maybe your Mom and I will stop in Houston on our trek across the USA. take care hiking and don't overdo it! Matt was here for Easter and he told us about the hike he went on with you when he was in Washington. Hope to see you soon! love anne

Mark said...

It snowed one time I was there. So much for mild winters.

But the zoo is pretty awesome. Cheap too.

Humid, very much, though.