Monday, March 10, 2008

Good Health to Me, Good Wealth to Me

At 7:03 p.m. EST this evening, I will have been in this world for 27 years. So far it hasn't really felt much like my birthday. But then again what are birthdays supposed to feel like? When I woke up this morning, I had to remind myself that it's my birthday. That's because Jeff is out of the country, so I'm celebrating solo. I think out of the 8 birthdays I've had since Jeff and I met, we've been apart for 5 of them so this is nothing new. But when he missed them in the past, I was living with roommates, so there was someone else around to do the whole celebrating thing with. I'm going out a with a friend after work for a drink or dinner, and tomorrow I'm going to lunch with two friends from work. Also my brother is coming in town on Wednesday, and my mom is sending gifts, so it's not as if the day is going unnoticed. It's just going to be a little odd opening presents all by my lonesome. I'm not quite sure how to approach it, not having someone else to show my gifts to.

Anyhow, this past year has been a good one. My freelance writing has gotten off the ground. It still has a ways to go before it's truly airborne, but it's on its way. I signed my first contract to write a book. Not the Great American Novel I have planned, but a start. And the planning for our Round the World trip has picked up speed, and is manifesting itself as a blog. And this upcoming year promises to bring more excitement with it. We'll actually take off on our trip, and by my next birthday, I'll be very familiar with South America. I'll also have completed my book and hopefully it will be well on its way to arriving in bookstores. And I'm sure there will be a fair amount of surprises that pop up over the course of the next 365 days. It will be fun to see what the first year of my "late twenties" brings.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Theresa! I've spent a couple birthdays alone in the past too... you should take yourself out to the spa or something :)

So is 27 the year of official entry to the late twenties? I didn't know that...

Anonymous said...

God you're old. Cue the secret second verse...Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it's a great one!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Theresa!1

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Theresa! This is Inga -- being "anonymous" seemed to be the easiest way for me to send you a birthday greeting here.

You really do have an exciting upcoming year to look forward to, -- and I'm looking forward to reading all about it on "Spargel" and "Lives of Wander"!

angela said...

What do you mean you have no one to show your presents to?? Use that fancy camera of yours and show all your "fans"!

Happy birthday, lady. Welcome to 27.

Kelly said...

Happy birthday, Theresa! :-)