Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Calling All Internet Detectives

I need help identifying this plant.



I have encountered this plant on almost every hike I've done in the DC area. The first picture shows the entire plant (shrub? tree?), and it shows one of the larger versions of the plant that I have found. The second picture shows the leaves in more detail. From what I can tell, the plant keeps its leaves all year round and they remain green. (Otherwise they appear very early in the year, since I've been seeing these since late January). They are often found in clusters, and are part of the understory, though they're more often in areas of the forest where the canopy is fairly open rather than in the areas that are densely shaded. In general, the ground in the DC area is swampy, and they seem to thrive in that environment. I haven't yet seem any blooms on these plants, but it is still pretty early for that. Fairly often, the leaves are mottled as if the plant is being attacked by something.

My best guess is that it's some kind of rhododendron, but I'm not certain on that. Matthew, upon seeing them on the hike he did with me, also immediately went to rhododendron. I know there are many species of rhododendron, and it seems the closest match so far, but I'd like more input. Despite spending time with two large botany books today, I've yet to have that aha moment. So please, internet detectives get to work and identify this plant! Mucho thanks.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eucalyptus. Mark it down. Look for the koala next time.

Anonymous said...

I definitely believe it is in the rhodendron, azalea, magnolia family. One of the acid loving plants but which one I am not sure. too bad, I can't call jeannine Wiche or Bob Hill and have them look. Maybe even Cindy Sullivan.

Matthew said...

Mom made a long list of 'Fred Wiche" wanna-be's.

He would know. Those other fools may or may not.

I know you are not supposed to take anything from the forest, so I would not rip off a leaf. Could you take the picture to a ranger or an information booth?

For instance, I bet that ranger at Harper's Ferry could tell you a story about the plant. A story that may or may not be true, but will surely be long.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Botany 101!

Anonymous said...

thanks to your Mom's idea, I e-mailed the picture to Cindi Sullivan. I will let you know if and when I hear back. If she gets it right, I might quit saying "get a haircut" every time I see her-- but I doubt it. anne

Anonymous said...

Just got an e-mail from Cindi Sullivan, she is out for a few days, so you will probably find the name of the plant before she returns. sorry

Anonymous said...

Maybe mountain laurel?
(I think it looks like rhododendron too, but this bush looks a little leggier than most rhododendron.)
I'll get my dad to look. (He's great with trees, what with the forestry degree & career in conservation).

Anonymous said...

Dad says check out Kalmia Latifolia, or "Mountain Laurel" and see what you think.

Hah! Maybe I should be a botanist!

Theresa said...

Ding! Ding! Ding! Kate wins. I was at the arboretum today and found the plant with a label on it, and it is indeed a mountain laurel.

You know, I'd looked up mountain laurel before because it is on lists of common undergrowth in this area, but I only found close-up pictures of it in full flower where I couldn't see the damn leaves or what the entire plant looked like. You think botany books could show pictures of plants during various seasons and in various zooms.

Thanks, Kate (and Kate's dad)!

Anonymous said...

I'm sticking with Eucalyptus. You can't believe everything Kate and her dad tell you. They aren't the internets, Wikipedia, or Google.