Friday, July 30, 2004

Defining My Affiliation

I never used to consider myself very political. I followed politics superficially, and I voted, but I never really put a lot of thought into my role in the whole political system. When I turned 18, I registered as a Republican, because that's how my parents were registered, and while I didn't vote the party line, if I didn't know much about the candidates, I generally picked the Republican candidate. As I've gotten older, however, I've taken the time to form my own political opinions. Last year, after much thought on the issues that were most important to me, I changed my affiliation to the Democratic party, and while watching the Democratic Convention over the past week, I've reaffirmed my decision. As the election approaches, an election that is of great importance to both the nation and the world (trust me, it's a huge topic abroad), I hope everyone takes the time to reconsider what it is they truly believe in and how these beliefs line up politically. Don't vote for a party just because you always have. Don't vote for the candidate whose commercials most stuck in your mind. And please, don't not vote because you don't think any of the candidates are worth a damn. Take some time to decide what is important to you and then decide which candidate best represents your interests. Read the paper, watch television, check out the candidates' websites, and in November go vote. (For Kerry.) Okay, while I really wish you'd vote for Kerry, I mainly just want you to go out and vote. It's your country. It's your vote. Don't waste it.

And for my own and your examination, this is why I'm a Democrat.
*I'm not in this alone. You're not in this alone. We're a world, a country, a community of people, and we each have a responsibility to each other. I'm not rich. I'll never be rich. And if I ever got to be that rich, I would be more than happy to have some of my money go to help those who need it. Yes, I'm not so naive that I don't realize that some people are poor because they are lazy. But a whole hell of a lot more people are poor because of situations they can't control. I/you/anyone I know personally am/are/is lucky. We were born to families who wanted us and who have done everything within their power to give us the best future possible. I have enough money that all of my needs and many of my wants are taken care of. I have been given opportunity after opportunity. If I don't "make it", it's no one's fault but my own. Many people, however, aren't given any of that. Their parents don't want them and can't provide for them. They've had to take care of themselves their whole lives and often education, jobs, health, etc. have fallen to the wayside. Can we really expect them to "make it" without help? I doubt I would, and if I were in that situation, I would only hope that someone would be willing to part with a little bit of their extra to give me my basics.

*The environment is in dire straits. Pollution is skyrocketing. And a lot of the damage is irreversible. I love our national parks, our wildlife, our oceans, our country's magnificent beauty, and I want future generations to enjoy it. Our parks aren't for mining, oil-drilling, or clear-cutting. Instead of asking for more and more, we need to concentrate on ways to use less and less. The technology is there, but it's not getting developed right now. And it's not going to be developed until people stand up and demand it.

*All people deserve full and equal rights, not just the people that a select group of us likes. Marriage is a basic human right that should be extended to ALL people.

*Our nation is built on the principle of separation of church and state. We are not a christian country, anymore than we are a jewish country, an islamic country, or an atheist country. As such, our programs and laws should be political and not religious. We cannot legislate morals, nor should we try to.

*My right to free speech, free assembly, free press, freedom from search and seizure, and my freedom to be considered innocent until proven guilty is protected by the Constitution. Don't deny it to me. Don't monitor my phone calls, my library books, my comings and goings. I'm not a criminal. I shouldn't be treated as such.

*War should never be the first answer. And war should never be entered into without a plan for peace. Yes, we should defend ourselves. Yes, we should fight terrorism. But we should attack the terrorists, not seek revenge or address old grudges. We should equip our soldiers with the best we can give, and we should never send them into a situation that could have been solved in any other manner. And we should not go at it alone. We are one country. We need friends. The world is bigger than the U.S. We need to remember that.

*Healthcare is a universal right. In the end this will save us all money. Prevention and research is much cheaper than emergency care and chronic and fatal disease.

*I believe in the little man. The little man is the heart and soul of America, and if we don't protect him, big business is going to kill him. And big business isn't anybody but the big man's friend.

*I need a job. A good job. And I need an economy that's going to provide me with one. I need an economy that is going to keep jobs here, not reward them for taking jobs overseas and further trample on the world's downtrodden by paying them very little for a whole lot of work.

There are more reasons, but that covers quite a lot of them. Take the time and think about what you believe. Then take your beliefs to the streets and to the polls. Our national apathy is disgusting.

No comments: