Thursday, July 22, 2004

Giving the Real World A Go

Although many of you already know, I thought I'd make it official by posting it on my blog. I have a job for the next year. Okay, technically it's an internship, but it pays, so I'm counting it as a job. Beginning September 13, I will be working in the Division of the Senior Historian at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, DC. I'm really excited, because this is exactly what I wanted. I will be working in a museum whose focus is the subject area I am most intellectually curious about. I will get excellent experience in museum work and historical research. Plus I'll get to put my German language skills to good use. And people thought a German degree was useless. Ha, I'm showing them!

The internship doesn't pay much (not really enough to pay my bills to be truthful), so I'm still looking for something on the side. I've got resumes out for ESL teaching positions and a historic home guide position, and if I get something like that I'll be set. I'm confident that things will work out, and I'm really looking forward to it. The job sounds interesting, and I think it will be great preparation for graduate school in history (where I hope to be next year). And I'm excited about living in DC for a few years. It's going to be fun.

No comments: