Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Why Winter?

According to Wikipedia, the ancient Romans established January 1 as the beginning of the new year in 153 BC. In the following centuries, however, this wasn't adhered to and the date that signified the start of a new year varied, most often to align it with Christian holidays or natural events such as the vernal equinox. The Gregorian calendar, which was created in 1582, listed January as the first month, thus making January 1 the first day of the new year. This wasn't universally accepted, however, and as a matter of fact, Britain and its colonies (which included America at the time) did not begin to recognize January 1 as the new year until 1752.

If you really start thinking about time, it gets confusing, considering the ways we have for measuring it are primarily man-made constructions that have varied over the course of existence of life on Earth. It still varies even today. For example, Ethiopia just celebrated the millennium on what our calendars showed as September 12, 2007. Apparently traveling back in time isn't as difficult as we all think it is. Just hop a flight to Ethiopia, and you'll be in the year 2000.

Anyhow, I've kind of meandered away from the point I originally intended to make, which is who the hell thought it was a good idea to make the new year begin right in the heart of winter? If I had the power to alter the calendar, I'd move the new year to spring. It just makes sense. Spring is about renewal, rebirth, new life. Spring is inspiring. Winter...well, it is dark and depressing.

I feel unmotivated and lazy in the winter. When it's dark and cold outside, there's little I want to do other than curl up on my couch with a blanket and a good book. I don't want to do all the things I resolve to do in the new year. When the temperature is below freezing and the wind is blowing brutally, the last thing I want to do is go outside and exercise. I have no doubt that the reason most people don't keep their New Year's resolutions is that it's just too hard to keep up your motivation in the darkest months of the year. Only the most self-punishing prevail. It's as if we're being set up to fail. Cruel, I tell you.

Additionally, it would be much more fun to celebrate the new year at a time of year when the weather is better. Who really enjoys standing outside to watch fireworks or dropping balls when the mercury is hardly registering in the thermometer? Who wants to put on a cute going-out outfit only to cover it with a heavy coat you have to keep track of all night? Not me, that's for sure. And, having just celebrated Christmas, I'm kind of partied out by the time the calendar flips. Seriously, it's just not the right time of the year for a change.

But I don't think my one woman crusade is going to make any waves, so I guess I might as well wish you a happy 2008. Good luck with those resolutions.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I agree... I froze my butt off hanging out in downtown Boston on New Year's and I kept thinking how nice it would be if only it weren't so cold!

Papa McReinhart said...

1- New Years day in the winter is fantastic, a few days off not to brave the cold going to work.

2- Rosa Parks... enough said