Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Take that Mr. Presidents

This weekend Jeff and I braved the cold and went into the city. We didn't manage to check anything off our list, but we did make our way to a few interesting exhibits---the Nature's best photos exhibit at Natural Science is really good; the Hopper exhibit at the National Gallery was probably pretty good, but it was so miserably busy that I didn't actually see anything, so I can't comment.

We also stopped in at the Portrait Gallery, which happens to share the same building as American Art, the Smithsonian where I work. As you can see, the Portrait Gallery has a very popular exhibit on America's Presidents. Just look at the crowds waiting to get in the exhibition hall.


Just kidding. American President's was practically empty. The bathroom outside American President's was, however, quite the hotspot, as crowds flocked to see the portrait of Comedy Central pundit Stephen Colbert and have their portrait snapped with it. If you watch the Colbert Report, you probably saw the fairly funny episodes about this. If you didn't, well, I bet you can catch it on You Tube.


I don't know what this says about America. But I'll be interested in seeing museum attendance numbers at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure they'll be much higher than average and I don't think it's the Presidents or any other real exhibit bringing in the crowds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark and I spent a significant time in your building two summers ago and while the presidential portraits were for the most part impressive, there was definitely nothing as intriguing as a portrait of a portrait of a portrait of Stephen Colbert when we visited. Sure there was a Lance Armstrong and some other "famous" people, but no Colbert.

Also, I know not what it says about America, but I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. We've known for a long time that most people "our" age don't get news from an established source, but rather Comedy Central and the Daily Show.

megan said...

i love the first picture- slow shutter, movement, great light! muah! you guys are getting that camera down :)

i think it says our generation will lead this country with style- we want to laugh and be happy- not so serious berious all the time. i mean we may even elect a white woman or black man, that's pretty cool.

have you decided who you're voting for?

Jeff said...

Thanks Megan, I took that one. I can't believe I'm not credited on here. =). I have to admit though, it's the best of probably about 10 or so. It was such an ironic scene, the people were way more interesting than the portrait itself.