Thursday, July 19, 2007

Remember When Summer Meant Doing Nothing?

Sorry for the lack of posts, but July is a crazy month for me. Last weekend I was in Atlantic City for Joyce's bachelorette party, I leave today for Seattle for Alison's wedding, and next weekend I'll be in Louisville for Joyce's shower. I've hardly had time to catch my breath, more of less do or read anything worth posting about.

I'm not convinced August will be any better, although at least some of the travel we'll be doing then is for ourselves. Jeff and I are taking vacation from August 10-19. We're doing a roadtrip from here to Maine and back. This is pretty much our last summer in the area (we hope), so we figured we needed to see it all while we are close. We're going to a Yankees game and a Red Sox game. We're hitting Cape Cod to catch the end of the Cape Cod League. We're camping in Acadia National Park. We hope to go to the mountains in New Hampshire, tour the Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont, and see some cute little towns. Problem is, we haven't really had much time to plan. We have one hotel booked, one night of camping, and one set of baseball tickets. Eek! We don't want to overplan...it's a roadtrip afterall...but if you know me, you know I don't like not to have things figured out.

So help us out. What are your favorite places in Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Maine? Any and all recommendations would be most welcome!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yankees and Sox game, nice. And I think the only thing in Maine is LL Bean. Thats not a joke. I'm sure Mom has some places since she's been up that way.

megan said...

vermont is my favorite state.

middlebury is a very cute small town- with not much but cuteness. but burlington is very worth visiting. you can sky dive- they have a couple great companies that offer it but sarah & i weren't able to do it bc it's weekends only :(

new hampshire has amazing things do outdoors- but i can't remember their names- they're near bethleham. i'll have to email cat & ask her...

what a great trip you'll have. send postcards!

Papa McReinhart said...

My aunt lives in Alton NH. You could stay with her and hear all about my mom growing up, or it might be better to avoid Alton all-together. Maine is a beautiful state, have been there many times, Blue Hill, Bar Harbor, Portland, and the Bush estate at Kenniebuckport(sp.) is worth a sight. Nothing better than Mainer accents and Bangor or as they say banger. Have fun up there. Sarah's parents just got back from three weeks in VT. call if you want any pointers.

Matthew said...

Outside Magazine, which I picked up while spending some time in the Denver airport last week, just did a feature on the 30 best towns in America.

What they really did was name the best city in 5 geographical areas, with 25 other cites thrown in. Portland was named the best East Coast town, while Burlington(VT) was named the best New England town. Each entry includes a portion titled "the perfect 48 hours[in given city]."

Less attention was afforded to Rockland, ME and Greenfield, MA. And by less attention, I mean a one-sentence reader quotation.

If you remember, I'll give the mag to you next weekend. Remember.