Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Down with the Pope

CNN Article -- Vatican: Non-Catholics Not True Christians

I find this to be so infuriating. Why is this what the church is concerned about? In a world that is so full of trouble, I find it disgusting that the church uses its energy and influence to dwell on such petty issues. It is simply another example of the church's intolerance and strutting I'm-better-than-you behavior.

And why is religion more important than faith? It seems to me that Jesus seemed to put more stock on faith. After all, he certainly didn't follow his own religion, Judaism, all that closely. It seems that the church is acting very much like the scribes and the pharisees that Jesus himself condemned, saying they were more concerned with appearances and the letter of the law than the spirit of the law.

I'm so down on organized religion. It certainly seems to cause more division than unity, to preach intolerance instead of tolerance, to offer much criticism but few solutions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw "Vatican: 'Non-Catholics Not Real Christians'" on CNN.com and chuckled and then decided while it is amusing its quite a serious proclamation. I wonder if the Catholic Church/Pope has ever heard of hubris.

Anonymous said...

I tried replacing Police with Pope in NWA's "Fuck the Police" but I ended up a syllabus short, and it just sounded all wrong.

That's all.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a comment yesterday but it didn't appear. I was concerned when this man was elected pope and I see I was right to feel that way. Sure does wonders for human relations.

Anonymous said...

He is doing serious damage to the Catholic religion and a terrible disservice to the Catholic church and to the rest of the world.

With all of the scandals in the Chruch recently, you would think that he would do something to unite people.

Now, he wants to go back to the Latin mass! UGH!

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up, that was the view of the church. I remember one time I was really upset because my Dad was not a Catholic and I was afraid he wouldn't get into heaven because of it, I told Daddy and he told me " I'll tell you a secret, but don't tell the nuns, and then he said God has two door in heaven, for the non-catholics and one for the Catholics because
He didn't want to upset the catholics. Then he said, don't worry Anne, I'll see you in heaven.