Friday, June 15, 2007

A True Classic

Isn't it nice to know that in a world where it's practically impossible to find something as simple as blades for your razor because after just a year it's considered an "outdated" model, there are some things that stand the test of time? Like Nancy Drew. Apparently a movie version of Nancy Drew comes out this weekend. I'm not a movie person, so I won't be going to see it, but I like to know that it's there, and that it's still considered relevant.

And what's most impressive about it is that Nancy Drew isn't just a relic of my childhood, but of my mother's too. I used to get new Nancy Drew books for my birthday or other occasions (I loved the ones that had two stories in one book, each starting from a different end of the book and oriented in the opposite direction. I keenly remembering having "The Secret of the Old Clock" and "The Hidden Staircase" in a version like that.), but I also remember reading my mom's copies of the books, the ones she'd had since she was a child. In fact, Nancy Drew's been around since my grandma was a child, debuting in 1930! And while she's evolved, and while a number of authors, all under the pen name Carolyn Keene, have penned Nancy's stories, I think it's pretty cool that she's managed to survive all these years. I hope if I ever have a daughter, Nancy Drew's still around for her to enjoy.

No comments: