Saturday, June 16, 2007

To Rice Be True

Yesterday, Rice played Louisville in the opening game of the College World Series. I clearly have ties to both, as Rice is my alma mater and Louisville is my hometown team (and the alma mater of my father and the place where my brother is getting his graduate degrees). And while I knew I was for Rice, I thought that I'd approach the game fairly even-keeled. I would be happy in some way regardless of who won, right?

Um, apparently, wrong. As soon as the game started, my true feelings burst out. I was for Rice, and I was for Rice totally and completely. When Louisville put that first run on the board, I was not happy. When Louisville looked like they were going to trounce Rice, I was pissed. And when Rice ended up pulling it out, I was completely relieved.

I guess alma mater does count for something. (Although I think what mattered most wasn't that it was Rice, but that it was Rice baseball, and that's probably the most intimate tie I have to my alma mater. I'm not sure I'd care so much if it were anything else.)

Anyhow, now that that game's over, Go Cards.

But most of all, Go Owls!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the "gametracker" at work and couldn't believe 1)UL grabbed a huge early lead and 2)Rice had the late offense to comeback and win. Probably was quite exciting on TV. Go Rice!

megan said...

your alls mascot is the owl?

... oh the cards so deserved to win!

Anonymous said...

You always cheer for your undergraduate alma mater above all else. It's the school that probably most shaped you as a person, and it's the school you have probably paid the most money to. I've paid a little money to UofL, but they've done most of the paying to me. In turn, going to UofL is more a business arrangement than a issue of the heart.

My freshman year at UD, some of my Flyer friends cheered for UL when UD came to town. I cheered for UD in 2000, I cheered for them last year, and I will cheer for the Flyers once again when they come back to Freedom Hall this winter. And, well, UD has won the last 2 matchups(and its last matchup with UK in 1999 or 2000), so I can't push my luck at this point.

For the record, even when cheering for your alma mater, you are not allowed to use the proverbial "we." T, I was glad you wrote, "when Rice ended up pulling it out," and not the way in which, say, a UK fan would write it.

Now T, go ask your youngest brother about how he jumped ship midstream....

-Matt