Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Silly, Silly French

In a Washington Post article in the Sunday Outlook about the proposed employment bill and related rioting in France, a young French person is quoted as saying something like, "This (law) means that we would have to go to work and do whatever our bosses told us to do if we don't want to get fired." (Not exact quote, but pretty close.)

Gasp. How shocking.

I'm sorry but that didn't win any sympathy from me, and I doubt it won sympathy from the majority of working people. Going to work and doing what we're told to do is what most of us do every day. Maybe I've had a string of bad jobs, but I was always under the impression that in order to keep my job, I had to do my job.

Maybe French bosses ask for atrocious things. I'm not sure. But really, I doubt that French bosses are that much worse than any other boss. I think it's just time that these young people are welcomed to the real world. Considering most of them will be "students" until late into their twenties, I really don't think they have it that bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just realized this but every job I have had involved doing my job and what the boss told me to do. Wow I was disillusioned. If only I had known!

Laura said...

What's even worse is that they actually have to work a brutal 35 hours a week and only get a measly 6 weeks of vacation every year. Those poor Frenchies... I really feel for them...

Anonymous said...

I just realized that in every job that I have had, it's been me sort of doing what my boss has told me to do, all along hating it.

Guess that's why I am in grad school....