Thursday, March 23, 2006

Good Reads, Anyone?

I go through fazes with reading. I'll consume everything I can find for a while, and then I'll quit reading much more than the occassional newspaper or magazine for a while. I think the lull happens when I end up with a book that I can't really get into. After I do finally finish it (I have trouble not finishing a book, even if I don't really like it), I'm tired and don't feel like reading anything else. Anyhow, I've just gotten into a reading spell, and I need some book suggestions.

On Sunday night, I finished "The Worst Hard Time," which is a really well-written nonfiction account of the Dust Bowl. I recommend it to anyone interested in US History. And Tuesday night, I picked up "My Sister's Keeper" from the library. I started it yesterday morning on the Metro, and I am now down to less than 50 pages left. I really want to finish it right now, but I'm going to wait until lunch. I have a few other books on hold at the library, but I'm still pretty far back on the list. And I have some magazines to read - we get The Economist, Smithsonian, Budget Travel, and a lot of tech and sports magazines that Jeff reads but I don't. But I need some suggestions for books. What have you read lately and enjoyed? Let me know, so I can add it to my list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Green Eggs and Ham- Its a quick read with some really witty lines. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Mark said...

I read Kite Runner over the Christmas Holiday. I would recommend it. I mean it did hold my attention very well, even over break.

Laura said...

I enjoyed the Kite Runner too, although it's not very uplifting. I also really enjoyed this book called "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, which I read last year. Right now I'm reading "The Historian" but had to stop in the middle and switch to "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" because it was too scary and Boris was out of town, but now that he's back I intend to finish it, because I hate not finishing books too! If you like the Harry Potter books, there's this series of three books by Philip Pullman that I loved and would highly recommend . The first one is called "The Golden Compass". They're marketed to children, but I really think they're more appropriate for adults, because they deal with some pretty deep issues. Anyway, those are my recommendations :) Let me know if you read any of them!