Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Amazing Race 9 Analysis

I've been anticipating the start of Amazing Race 9 ever since I realized how terrible Amazing Race: Family Edition was. And while I was excited to watch it last night, I have to say I was a bit disappointed. In two hours worth of premiere, nothing much happened. I understand that part of the goal of the premiere is to allow viewers to "get to know" the teams, but I wanted to see more action. All they really did was find a hotel, take a helicoptor flight (or build a bike), light a candle, and go to the pit stop. I'm hoping the action picks up next week and things get a little more physical and a little more challenging.

But here are my thoughts on this season's teams.

Lake & Michelle - He's way too intense and she's way too subservient. I think CBS is setting them up to be the "bad guys" in the vein of Colin & Christie or Jonathan & Victoria, but I didn't find him quite that evil. But we'll see.

Danielle & Dani - Ugh. Really they didn't do anything that obnoxious, but I just can't stand people who try to get by on boobs. The boobs hanging out all over the place, the all pink outfits, and the way they thought they could just find a man to put the bike together for them made me dislike them. CBS is trying to sell them as the "hot female" team, but the other females this season are much better looking in my opinion.

BJ & Tyler - Could they have played to the camera anymore? I don't care if that's how they are everyday or if they're just doing it for the show, but their over the top antics drove me insane. I can't stand people who go out of their way to be "unique."

Ray & Yolanda - I liked them. They were funny in a natural way ("Ray, like the sun" and her comment about the cab driver probably being intimidated by a big black guy right behind him asking if they were close yet), they seemed to have a balanced relationship, and they kept their cool in an uncomfortable situation (How obnoxious were the guys at the bike place?). And damn Yolanda has some muscular legs.

John & Scott - No shock that they were the first to go. Pretty incompetent and afraid of everything in the world. Also weird relationship that left a lot of questions. Usually I'm sad to see the first team go, but I won't miss them.

David & Lori - Another favorite. I thought they were funny and you could tell that they genuinely liked each other a lot. Definitely a bit dorky, but probably more representative of a lot of America than a lot of teams. They did well and seemed to understand how to play the game. I think they could go far, but they might have trouble with any really physical tasks.

Eric & Jeremy - Complete tools. They so desperately want to be cool, but they're so not. I thought they were the dorkiest team by far. I don't think they're attractive either, even though they certainly think they are. And I really can't stand them bragging about dropping out of college and being bums. Ugh. I hope they get eliminated soon, but I think they'll do fine as long as nothing is mentally challenging.

Fran & Barry - I was ready to like them, but they pretty much made it impossible. Seriously, how did they miss the cluebox so many times? What were they looking for? And what were they doing at the bike shop? They didn't have the first clue about what to do, and then they seemed upset when Lake didn't build the whole bike for them after promising to help. Plus they whined incessantly.

Lisa & Joni - I was amused by some of their comments, but there was way too much shrieking going on. I didn't dislike them as much as Jeff who was begging for their elimination, but I'm pretty indifferent. I don't think they'll last very long.

Joseph & Monica - I liked him more than her. I had to laugh when he asked her if she was really crying at the airport. The Barbie moniker seemed kind of accurate for her. And while she was all giddy and excited when things were going their way, she either lost it or became bitchy when things went even slightly wrong. I don't think their relationship is all that strong, and I can see them kind of falling apart and hurting themselves with bickering.

Wanda & Desiree - I liked them for the most part, although the mom might drive me crazy if she doesn't calm down. The daughter is really pretty--definitely the most attractive person on this season. They seemed to have their stuff together and performed well. The language skills helped them. Think their weakness will be the fatigue.

So the three teams I liked best were Ray & Yolanda, David & Lori, and Wanda & Desiree. All performed fairly well yesterday, but it's such a topsy-turvy game that you never know what's going to happen. I'm ready for some action next week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to catch much but quick glimpses because the Illini played during those 2 hours. But I'll catch it from here on out. Like you said the first is a 'get to know' episode. I'll let you know who I like next week.

Laura said...

I've never seen this show before, but now I really want to watch it. Unfortunately I don't think they're showing on the American channel out here and if they do it will probably be like 3 months behind or something. Oh well--guess I'll just have to wait until I move!

Anonymous said...

I forgot my blogger account, but this is your brother matthew speaking...

and all i want to say is "give peace a chance." wait, no, that's not it. wrong post.

i actually want to say that although this show really doesn't keep my attention anymore(i've always been the family outsider), i will try to catch a bit every week to see a glimpse of desiree.

i wish i was on the show with those college-dudes trying to "mack" on those blonde bimbos. i'd just laugh at, not only their inability to impress those bimbos, but also the fact that they are chasing the wrong woman.

that's all.

Anonymous said...

i meant to say college-dropout valet dudes.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, those guys are real idiots and complete losers.

But if you don't have a blogger account, you don't have to be anonymous. You can choose the Other button and just put in your name.