Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Fall Weekend Fun

This past weekend was a perfect fall weekend. The leaves are starting to change in some places, and the air has that hint of fall in it, but the sun is still strong enough that it is warm on your face and arms. It was a perfect weekend for Cristina to visit, and for her, Tiffany, and I to get out and enjoy a bit of Washington.

Cristina, who I haven’t seen since we graduated, arrived Friday night. Despite terrible traffic (a DC constant), Jeff and I managed to pick her up on time. After dropping her stuff off at the condo and Cristina grabbing a sandwich for a late dinner, we headed out to COSI in Bethesda for dessert. Although we keep getting the same waitress there and she consistently sucks, I still like the place. I think I just like the s’mores…and the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce was pretty awesome too. We stayed there until close, and then headed home. Despite being tired, we stayed up chatting long after Jeff wished we’d head to bed. (He was sleeping in the living room where we were.) And then once we did go to bed, we stayed up even longer, giggling like little girls at a sleepover. Tiffany was ready to go bright and early the next morning, but Cristina and I were lazy bums and didn’t get moving until lunchtime. When we did finally get out of the house, we headed to Georgetown, where we had a delicious lunch at an Italian cafĂ© that almost seemed like it could have been in Europe. We then wandered around the packed streets, enjoying the weather and checking out a few stores. I did buy a corduroy blazer, which is very cute. Pooped out, we headed back to the condo where we rescued Jeff from all the football watching he’d been forced to do (poor kid). We finished off the evening at Rock Bottom, with food, drinks, and conversation.

Sunday, Tiffany headed over again, and we grabbed a soup and salad lunch at Le Madeline. The weather was so beautiful we ate our lunch outside. We then stopped in David’s Bridal, which was a highly unsuccessful trip. I didn’t find anything I even remotely liked, and although I was just looking to see what styles might look good, I never got to try anything on, because the service there was atrocious. So it goes. We rounded out the afternoon just hanging around and talking before taking Cristina to the airport so she could get back to her demanding med school life.

Jeff and I still had Monday off, so we took advantage by going to a local farm to pick pumpkins. The day was sunny with a bit of crispness in the air. With jeans and a jacket, I was perfectly comfortable. We walked out to the pumpkin patch and quickly spotted the perfect pumpkin. We snatched it up, but kept looking around to make sure we had the very best one. We did, but we also grabbed a littler one to complement it. Back at the little shop, we also grabbed three small gourds for decoration. After loading them in the car, Jeff had a caramel apple for a snack, and then we wandered down to the pond (where we saw a blue heron) and around the grounds. For $15.50, we got two pumpkins (a 19 lb one and a 6 lb one), three gourds, one caramel apple, one coke, and a perfectly lovely day. Not a bad deal at all. It was fun picking a pumpkin, and although I didn’t wear overalls, and I squatted next to my pumpkin instead of sitting on it while taking a photo, the day reminded me of the family trips we took when I was little to pick our Halloween pumpkins. There were a lot of families there too, many resembling what we must have looked like about 12-15 years ago. It’s nice to know that even when everything seems to change, there are still ways to make it all feel a little bit the same.

No comments: