Saturday, February 23, 2008

That's My Name on That Book

I don't believe in the idea that things "happen for a reason." There's too much senseless tragedy in the world for that. I do believe, however, that sometimes opportunities arise from setbacks.

When the start date for our trip was pushed back to October, I have to admit that I was disappointed. I was set on leaving in July. But shortly after that setback occurred, I received the opportunity to interview for a job that I was greatly interested in. And now, I'm happy to say that after a fairly intensive application, interview, and proposal process, I have been awarded a position as author of the forthcoming guidebook Moon Outdoors Take a Hike, Washington, DC. The final manuscript deadline is in September, so it just works perfectly with our new trip start date.

Now guidebook writing isn't exactly a lucrative career, so I'll be keeping my regular job. Which means for the next few months, I'll be doing one of four things: 1) working my 8:30 - 6:00 schtick; 2) hiking the approximately 80 trails that will be featured in the book; 3) writing about those hikes; and 4) planning our RTW trip. It'll be crazy, but it'll be worth it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Theresa! Your dad and I are so proud of you and so happy for you! I can't wait to see the finished work. Your name on a book as author!!! So great!

P.S. I do believe I was the one that said you would be an author one day.

Anonymous said...

Will there be a full blown book tour with readings? I'd stop in to hear a reading from a guide book. Oh and autographs. Yeah. At least you'll be busy for your own sake, which always makes it better.

angela said...

That's awesome, Theresa! Are you planning to try to publish anything from the RTW trip?

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm so proud of you! I always knew that there was a purpose in the Young Author's Contest. Do you get to work with a publicist?

megan said...

holy crap, batman!!! theresa- that's fabulous. i'm so coming to visit you for one of your harder hikes!

i can't wait to purchase that book- & sit it proudly on my top shelf of my guide books!

bryan says Congrats!!!! too.

Anonymous said...

YAYYYYYYYYY. Congratulations Thee!
The hiking will be a great opportunity for you and Jeff to get ready for your trip--and I can't wait to buy out all the copies in Boston bookstores!

Laura said...

Congratulations Theresa, that's awesome! Now I'll be able to say I actually know a real published author :) Can't wait to read your book and recommend it to all my DC friends!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and best wishes! We are also proud to have an author in our family tree......
Keep up the great work and thanks for making us proud!!!

Aunt Billie and Uncle Larry
Jacksonville, Florida

Anonymous said...

Theresa, Thank God your Mom has brought me up-to-date with the happenings over the past decade. As I told her, I have been waiting for your first book since you were at St. A with Christi.
This is some adventure you have created for yourself. Thank you for allowing some many to share in your journey.
I love to Hike, so I can not wait to read your book. Congratulations and take care, Shellie (Christi Starnes' Mom)