Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Flying Butter

Yesterday I had a choice. I could either go to a staff meeting and hear all about how we have no money, whine, whine, moan, moan, bitch, bitch. Or I could go see butterflies. Tough choice, huh?

The Smithsonian Natural History Museum just opened a walk-through butterfly exhibit. It's in the museum, but it actually requires an admission fee. Considering butterflies live for only about two weeks, and they have to be shipped in from Central and South America, it's not exactly a cheap exhibit. (Also, I'm sure they, like us, don't have any money either.) Anyhow, Smithsonian staff were invited to a preview of the exhibit, so I jumped on that. I then found out that I can get one free ticket a week for myself and discounted tickets for ,y guests. (I'm not sure how much they cost to begin with but I think it's about $5.) Maybe I'll make this a weekly habit. It's a really good pick-me-up. Who can be grumpy surrounded by such beauty?

I remembered to take my camera, so I thought I'd share a few pictures.



















10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Pictures. they will look great on your note cards. My favorite is the 2nd to last one.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

I like the one with the exit sign seeing as how they only live 2 weeks. Strange!

Matthew said...

I know mom is picking her favorite based on beauty, but the last photo is by far the best composition.

I'd like a copy, if that could be done.

Mark said...

The 4th one is the best, but my first look through them I liked the one mom liked. A little higher on the compostition and it would have been perfect, but still really good shots.

Butterfly in the sky...

Anonymous said...

The 9th one (second from the bottom) is the best for a desktop background and with digital images that is all that matters.

Laura said...

Beutiful pictures! What kind of lens are you using? Did you use flash? If so do you used the built in flash or external?

I love butterflies, but the few times I've been to butterfly exhibits I've gotten a little freaked out. I was so worried I would step on one and if any of them came close to me I suddenly remembered that they are really just flying insects. I think it's that whole enclosed space thing and the fact that there are so many. If a butterfly landed on me outside in the open I don't think it would bother me.

Theresa said...

Laura, I just used my regular 18-200 lens, and the exhibition was very brightly lit, so I didn't need any flash at all. The biggest problem was the humidity. It's kept at 80 degrees with 80% humidity, so my lens was really fogging up at first. (That's what is giving the first image I posted a bit of a softer edge.) I kept wiping it off with a lens cloth and soon enough it adjusted and was fine. I'm hoping to get a macro lens soon, and then I plan to go back and take some more pictures.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous about stepping on one of the butterflies. It's actually a fairly small exhibit - smaller than the one I've been to in Houston - so I didn't have to worry too much. But even though size-wise it's not very bigger, there were a lot of butterflies and I spent a long time in there.

Matthew said...

Paging Megan in AZ for some photo judging.

Concerning the one mom liked, that Greg said he liked for a wallpaper, that Mark said was composed too low in the frame -- Well, I like how the content of the picture dominates the lower left corner, so take that snotty art undergrad prick person.

Now let's all wait patiently for the professional photo expert's opinion.

Theresa said...

I think Megan's out of the country. Or she was last week. I'm not sure when she's expected to return, but we'll get her judgment then.

megan said...

ahem. i have arrived :) & i really like the one with the eye ball(3rd to last). it's beautifully framed, nice tight composition & i like the green slightly blown out background so it's not too distracting.

but, all the pictures are lovely. at our botanical gardens we have a butterfly exhibit, but I've only seen a few different kinds- you have an awesome selection!

i will call you soon theresa! the trip was amazing!!!!!