Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Request

If you subscribe to any magazines that you discard after you've read them, would you mind saving them for me? One thing you hear over and over as an aspiring freelance writer is that you need to be familiar with your intended market and that the best way to do this is to read the magazine. Well, folks, that gets expensive. I subscribe to the magazines that are at the top of my "I wish I could get published here" list, but there are a ton of magazines out there, and I just can't afford to get them all...even just to buy an issue of each from the newsstand would be a little much. And while I'm most interested in travel writing, there's room in almost nearly every magazine for some type of travel piece.

I'm only trying to acquire one issue of each magazine, preferably a recent issue considering how often magazines change their styles, so I'm not asking that you save them all for me, but if you could set aside one issue, I'd be most appreciative. I'm also particularly interested in regional magazines, as those don't even show up on my newsstands, but seem like they could be potentially good markets. If I'll be seeing you over the holidays, you can just hang on to them until then and I'll haul them back with me. Otherwise, if you don't mind, you can mail them to me (you may even be able to mail them via Media Mail, which is pretty cheap). I'll be most grateful.

I'm pretty much interested in anything you can come up with, but if you're not sure, you can leave a comment, and I'll let you know. Thanks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We get People, Redbook, Blender, Rolling Stone, Radiation Therapy Advance (thrilling) and Playboy. Let me know which ones you want.

Anonymous said...

I'll tell Patricia she gets lots of magazines

Matthew said...

I'm not sure how or why, but I receive This Old House Magazine.

Greg might be qualified to write for that magazine, but you, I'm afraid, are not. I'll save one for you, nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

I get "Southern Living" Thee. It's regional, and they are always doing travel pieces... want a copy?

Theresa said...

Lisa--While Advanced Radiation does sound awesome, I think I'll pass on that. If you don't mind giving me a copy of the others that would be awesome.

Kate--Southern Living would be great. (Talk soon?)

Anonymous said...

You;ll pass on Advance?! You have no idea what you are missing! HAHA

I'll save some for you! Also check with PZ she gets lots of magazines - Good Housekeeping, Sports Illustrated, Catholic Digest, Oprah, Today's Woman and I think Louisville Magazine.

Matthew said...

PZ told me she quit getting Louisville Mag when the price went up. She did say, though, that she would like to get it again. There's a XMAS gift idea for her for those pondering the options.

You can thank me later.