Monday, August 18, 2003

Get Angry

I'm not much for bumper stickers. Generally I think they look tacky, and I would never put one on my car (Not that I actually own a car, so really this is a non-issue), but I do enjoy reading what other people feel compelled to put on their car. This past month I saw a mini-van covered in bumper stickers advertising the owner's atheist beliefs. The stickers were not restricted to the bumper, but covered all sides of the car and while stopped at a redlight I enjoyed reading the ones on my side. It struck me as kind of funny, because I never really think about people being hard-core atheist. It's like theists of any sort feel a need to convince other people of their beliefs, while atheists just sit quietly, acting smugly superior to anyone who might feel a need to believe in something bigger than themselves.

But anyhow, this post wasn't supposed to be about atheists and their bumper stickers. It's actually supposed to be about the one bumper sticker I would consider putting on my car. It says "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." Honestly, I don't really think I want to put it on my car. I just want to give it to a whole slew of people I know. Not that they're even paying enough attention to understand my intentions. Yes, I'm feeling a bit cranky toward some people I know. How in the hell did we all get to be so self-absorbed? Since when is something not a problem if it doesn't affect you? Damn it people, wake up. It is a problem that there are people who work two full-time jobs and still can't make enough to do any more than live from hand to mouth. It is a problem that there's no longer a place in American society for "the little man". It is a problem that we drive cars that pollute our world and that we destroy the little bit of wilderness that remains to build million-dollar houses. It is a problem that we value money over people. And most of all, it's a problem that the majority of people in this country don't care or are too complacent to do anything about it. There's plenty to be outraged about. Start paying attention. And then do something.

No comments: