Thursday, August 21, 2008

Maybe I'm Heartless

Have you read any of the many articles on CNN about the baby whale in Australia that has lost its mother? Well, after multiple failed attempts to reunite the baby with its mother...or some other mother that would feed it...authorities have decided to euthanize the whale, which is going to die anyways.

Lots of people are very, very upset about this. I don't get it. I also don't get why they're going to the trouble of euthanizing the whale instead of just letting it die naturally or become a meal for some other hungry animal.

This is nature people. The mother probably left the calf for good reason. Or maybe the mother fell victim to the food chain. Without the mother, the calf cannot survive. Period. End of story. Is that sad? Maybe. If you want to feel sad, I'm okay with that. But spending time, money, and energy on trying to rescue the whale seems silly to me. Quit trying to fuck with the circle of life. And if you're so compassionate and have so much money and time, I'm sure there are plenty of starving people who would be happy to have your attention.

5 comments:

Jessica Flynn said...

I completely agree. I've seen documentaries in which baby whales are pursued and then eventually killed by other whales. It is heartbreaking. But it's nature! I think it is absolutely ridiculous that humans feel the need to step in and euthanize this whale. If the young whale cannot survive on its own, it should at least aide in the survival of another.

Anonymous said...

THERESA DROPPED THE F BOMB ON HER BLOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
( i secretly love it).

angela said...

Love it, T. God bless common sense.

Leslie said...

once again, i agree thoroughly :)

Anonymous said...

:)