Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Debut in the Short Story World

Months and months ago, I read about a short story contest that Bethesda magazine was hosting, and I made plans to enter it. But of course things got busy, and I never got around to writing my story, and so I decided to forgo entering. Then about two days before the deadline, and one day before my brother Matthew and his girlfriend Amanda came in to town, I decided that I would be dumb not to enter because hey what if no one else entered; then I'd be the shoo-in for the top prize of $1,000.

At this point, I obviously didn't have time to come up with something new, so I grabbed a story I'd written before and emailed it in, approximately 10 minutes shy of the midnight deadline. I wasn't thrilled with the story. The ending was weak and overall needed some serious editing, but it was what it was.

End result, I didn't win the $1,000. Damn it. I did, however, get honorable mention. Unfortunately it doesn't come with any money, but it does come with all the glory I can handle from having the story published on the Bethesda Magazine website.

If you'd like to read "Mayfly Summers," follow this link to the Bethesda Magazine site.

You can then leave your constructive criticism in the comments.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's considered a SHORT story? Jeez.

Matthew said...

Greg,

I'm thinking flash fiction might be more up your alley. Or, more likely, superflash fiction.

Congrats, T. I'll be sure to read the story when things slow down a bit for me.

-Matt

Anonymous said...

Good story! It was very visual and quite interesting. I think it deserved better than Honorable Mention.

Mark said...

The story was very good. Full of details, and obviously well researched. It makes the story more interesting when you know the facts are straight.

The end is definently a bit abrupt and loose, but I can see where it could go if edited.

Well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you!

Laura said...

Wow, that's great! You're such an amazing writer :)

Papa McReinhart said...

Theresa, i never knew you knew so much about the life cycle of MayFlies... the story was very nice... when did you write it?

Unknown said...

I originally wrote this back in college. It's been updated once since then, and has been on the "to edit" list for years, where it still remains.

angela said...

T, I'm no literary critic, but I liked it! Especially the details.

ruth said...

I particularly enjoyed your description of tomatoes on the vine, evoked many summer memories. Delightful, Theresa!

megan said...

wow. nice story theresa. i'd love to see what you do with it now that it's worthy of an award!