Tuesday, April 15, 2008

No Pope for Me

Once upon a time (say November 2001) in a land far far away (say Italy), I saw the pope. Not the current one, but Pope John Paul II. It was a bit of an accident. I was going to the Vatican, so it wasn't as if I saw him out having a beer in some random trattoria, but we hadn't really made any plans to try to see the pope. By some random stroke, my friends and I just happened to decide to go to the Vatican on the same day as the pope was leading a beatification ceremony. I have to say it was pretty cool, especially when the pope got in his popemobile and made his way through the crowds.

This week Pope Benedict XVI is in town, but I don't have any plans to see him, and I won't even be going anywhere that might lead to an encounter similar to the last time. In fact, I think I'm going to do my best to stay far away. Not because of the crowds (which will be horrendous) or the security (which will be tight), but because I strongly disagree with the direction in which the Church, as headed by the pope, is moving (and I also disagree with the way the Church is so stubbornly standing in place in regards to some issues).

I was born and raised Catholic. I spent 13 years in Catholic schools. My grandmother was Irish Catholic (can you get any more Catholic than that?). Catholicism is a part of my history and culture, but I can no longer, in good conscience, embrace it. And though there may be some issues of faith that concern me, my main reasons are the Church's views on social issues. Let me lay some of them out here.

1. Abortion. In my ideal world, there would be no abortion because every pregnancy would be planned and every baby wanted. But the fact is, that isn't how things are. Rape, incest, and other horrible acts lead to pregnancy. People with addictions, with no means of supporting a child, with no desire for a child, end up pregnant. In my opinion, it's better than these pregnancies not result in births because of the trauma and pain that is likely to be inflicted on that child. That's my opinion, and I know the Church has a different opinion. Let me say that I support their right to have that opinion, and I even understand where it comes from. Protecting and celebrating life is the right thing for the Church to do. Providing alternatives to abortion is a wonderful thing. (Though supporting birth control might be a good start.) What I have a problem with is the extreme stance that the Church has taken on this, going so far as to say it should be the deciding factor upon which Catholics should base their vote. Seriously? That is absurd to me. I see much bigger issues that should factor into voting, namely the way in which politicians propose to care for those already alive on this earth. How we plan to care for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the abused, the imprisoned, and the dying seems much more important to me. And in my opinion, by addressing these issues, we go a long way to addressing the issue of unwanted children. When people are in a better place, they are less likely to end up unable to care for a child, and they are more likely to have the means to make smart decisions.

2. Homosexuality. Does anyone honestly think that people choose to be homosexual? Who in their right mind would choose a lifestyle that leads to discrimination and alienation? People aren't gay because they choose to be. They are gay because that's the way they were born (otherwise known to many as the way God made them). The Church's stance that people can by gay and be okay so long as they don't act on their tendencies is total bullshit. Love is a good thing, a great thing...regardless of whether it's between a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman.

3. Women. In the Catholic Church, women are second-class citizens. How in this day and age can the Church justify its exclusion of women from the role of priest...and the higher positions that can be obtained once one is ordained a priest? Why is a man the only one who can have this highly celebrated role? Again, it's bullshit. Women can have the same calling, the same strong faith, the same ability to lead a congregation. I refuse to condone, even silently, this overt discrimination.

The sex abuse scandal and the pitiful way in which the Church dealt with it (or didn't), the archaic view of the Church on sex and birth control, and the willy-nilly way in which the Church hands out annulments are just a few other things that get me riled up.

Before I close looking like a hater, let me go ahead and say that I think the Church has done many wonderful things. I have been lucky enough to have known many amazing priests, brothers, and nuns, who have made my life and many other lives better. The Church itself is a beacon of hope for many people. It provides outreach to some of society's most forgotten and neglected people. It has the power to do real good in the world. I respect that, and I admire that.

But, at the same time, I am sickened by the Church's discriminatory nature and closemindedness. And until I see true progress in those areas, I will seek a spiritual home elsewhere.

15 comments:

Leslie said...

Peferfectly said, Theresa!! When did we get to be so darn much alike? I agree with everything you said. Is that getting published somewhere -cause it should be :)

angela said...

I agree with Leslie (who agrees with you). It's a little scary how similar our views are! Maybe it's just our cohort or the Zeitgeist, but you said it very well regardless.

Anonymous said...

You're really Jewish!

Anonymous said...

Theresa, Theresa, Theresa, I was so envious of you living in Washington DC and the pope being there. I know you are young, and I admire and believe in your right to your own opinion. I am an old American Catholic who loves my country and my church. I remember when women could not be on the altar, and mass was said in latin. Change takes time in the church and it should. Lisa is nine years older than you. She was the first girl to play soccer at Okolona, but she was never allowed to be an altar girl or a lector, like you were. maybe Isaiah's daughters will be priests. Let's be honest women did not get the right to vote in America until 1920- talk about 2nd class citizens. This pope spoke out against the Iraq War. I am an American and am not going to stop being one because of the war. The vine is only as strong as it's branches, and if all our strong young branches leave- the vine WILL only get weaker and die. I do believe you can and should choose your own spiritual home, and I know you will choose wisely. love anne

Laura said...

I'm sorry, but what does being young have to do with it? I know many "older" people who agree with Theresa's views. Also if the Church is worried about losing its young people, maybe it should do something to try and keep them, like listening to their concerns. I agree with your views Theresa and what really bothers me about so much of this stuff is the unbending way that the Church today deals with everything. In many ways I think the Church is even more conservative now than it was 30 years ago--as illustrated by the fact that they tried to shove natural family planning down my throat when I was getting married and made me feel like I was a horrible person for considering birth control, yet when my parents got married in '73 their priest told them it was their own personal decision if they wanted to use birth control and that was the end of the discussion.

angela said...

I think it takes a strong person to stand up and say, "I don't like the way you're treating me--I'm out." Change may take time, but it's not right to use that as an excuse to continue injustice.

I'm going to take my strength (and my YOUTH) somewhere that appreciates me (which happens to be away from patronizing older Catholics)!

Theresa said...

It's interesting to hear the different perspectives and I do think they have very much to do with a generation gap. For those who grew up in a Church where Latin was the sole language, the priest said Mass with his back to the congregation, women were forced to cover their heads and could play no real role in Mass, etc., it seems the Church has come a long way. Vatican II was groundbreaking and for a while progress was rapid. For those of us born after Vatican II, however, it seems that nothing much has changed since that radical revolution. We took two steps forward, then stopped, and maybe even went back a step or two. I understand that the Church is a very old institution with centuries and centuries of history and tradition that have to be given their due. And I don't think the Church should change with every new wind. The Church has principles upon which it should stand firm, but most of those have to do with the basic pillars of faith and the teachings of Jesus. Love your neighbor. The beatitudes. Etc. But to remain relevant in the world, the Church must also be willing to make changes and admit when it is wrong. It's time for a Vatican III.

If you have a viewpoint to add here, please do, but let's be respectful of everyone's right to their own opinion. Religion is a contentious enough issue at it is!

Mark said...

I'm there with you, Theresa. I think society as a whole tends to direct itself to the older generations whose voices seem to count a little more, and are a little louder.

The church is very closeminded, and always has been, and I think thats what wrong with it at its core. We are always taught to listen to others views and respect them and sometimes I believe the Church is far from respecting other views.

IT's just like this current election here, though. The young very much need to get their voice heard and begin to move a direction that will benefit those who will begin to have control over the country.

The world as a whole is very stagnant.

Anonymous said...

young was a bad choice of words. However, just by living to an older age you learn, so age does make a difference or as my mom would have said age has its advantages. As a young person, I was very idealistic and was sure my generation could, should and WOULD change the world. Well, we did make some progress, but we also took some steps backwards. Change takes time. Now to the point of the blog, I should have said my faith is based on the Apostles's Creed -not social issues. Social action is a result of my belief. I know people of my generation who agree with Theresa and rightly so, however time moves slowly in the church. and I think it does with good reason, change in the church is permanent and can not and should not be made with the speed of a click of a computer mouse. In the 70’s birth control was a personal choice, and I. personally believe it should be today. No one has the right to make you feel bad about yourself, I hope you spoke up or left. If you stayed, I am hoping the priest gave you some good advice on other matters. It is easy to speak up on a blog, but results don't often occur here, they just make friends or enemies, or hurt an older ladies feelings. The church and our country should listen to both old and young people opinions, as a whole we are not that far apart--we all believe in a lot of the same things. I would use the y word again but do not want to get jumped on so I will say when I was younger I cared more about birth control - now I care more about quality of my life and end of life issues.. I have a living will-which I believe is another personal choice. My church and I might butt head but it will always be my church. As far as women in the church, I have seen enormous progress in my lifetime, now it’s another generation's battle ( that is if they don’t abdicate). I do wonder how many classes any of you all dropped in college because you disagreed with the professor? I think if you disagreed and stayed you probably learned something you never thought you would learn. I have lived through many changes in the church. dare I say, because of my age, however my personal faith is grounded and will survive any changes. The church or my country can and should not be the answer to all, they can only be our springing board. However by staying with my church I have become stronger and I hope I have made my church stronger, that's what I meant by the vine and the branches. But, alas,I agree we have a long way to go, we always will, as there will always be new issues, but we have plenty of time, and hopefully plenty of strong branches to help us along the way.

Matthew said...

Because all religion is centered in the act of being correct, it is quite difficult for such "organizations" as the Catholic Church to expand rights, as doing so would admit the folly of previous beliefs and undermine the Truth on which the organization is built.

The post-modern world, the world the "young" participants in this conversation recognize they live in, is a world that denounces the reality of one truth(capital letter Truth) for multiple truths(lower case truths). Such a post-modern world, then, challenges those belief systems that center themselves around some unified, universal Truth(such as, only God calls men to be priests).

As religion plays out for those living in the post-modern world, it often turns into an act more invested in faith than religious belonging. We, as a society, though, are still very much attached to labels, labels that return those invested in faith to these very organizations . These labels tend to overlook the multiple truths and identities present within both individuals and individuals as collectives(organizations and societies).

As the conversation has played out in these comments, the younger participants(my group) react against the label through which society views them as a unified entity(Catholic) by attempting to recognize that which is being marginalized within that group identity(a marginal identity often personal, as is the case for all the female participants).

The underlying connection between the two groups(young and old), the act of faith in a personal religion, remains the same -- but it exists contentiously through the recognition(or lack thereof) of different worldviews.

[and no, I'm not, at this moment, writing a paper on identity construction in the post-modern world. What would ever give you that idea?]

Anonymous said...

I am thoroughly enjoying all the comments and the discussion brought about by this post. It has given me a lot to think about. I am impressed by how well members of my family express themselves in the written word. I somehow missed out on that gift.

Anonymous said...

I'm silly. And thats the extent of my ability to express myself in the written word. But I'll take silly over anything else every day!

Though this is a good discussion as religion along with money and politics are supposedly taboo topics that are meant to remain private and yet all three are usually the root of many problems here and abroad. If there is not critical debate and discussion of such topics then alas nothing will ever change.

And really how can one not like a man who went from a member of the Hitler Youth to God on Earth? Simply stunning.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I've been thinking about this for a while. Also I'm the anon post above.

I was raised Catholic and I think that there are some great things about the Church. My faith gives me a sense of security in unknown times.

No matter where you go in the world, you will know exactly what is going on during Mass. When to stand, genuflect, sit, go to Communion, etc. That also gives me a great sense of security and belonging.

When I was a child, I desperately wanted to be a priest. When I found out that I couldn't be a priest and could only be a nun, I was upset. I didn't want to be a nun. I liked the respect that the priest received from the congregation, he was the only one who got to talk during mass and he got the biggest piece of Communion. What's not to like!?

As I got older, (oh no there's that word again). As I got older, there were many things about the Church that I found that I didn't agree with. Most of them have to do with social issues - homosexuality, abortion and women's rights - to name a few.

I'm pretty sure that the Church isn't going to say that abortion is ok or that the death penalty is a good idea.

I do like that the Church is consistent in the Right to Life issues - as opposed to our political parties that either support abortion and want to outlaw the death penalty or support the right to life and want stronger death penalty laws.

While I don't go to Church often, I do feel that it gives me a history and a basis for my life.

Anonymous said...

well said older person

Sarah Reinhart said...

Theresa,

While I do have a similar mindset as you on Catholic Church issues, I also feel that I could be an agent of change; a slow, slow-going one at best.

There have been many many times I've sat through a Mass less than happy to be there thinking--what am I doing? I'm bored. I'm not inspired. I don't believe in half of these things.

But I also understand that I was sitting there thinking: why isn't the Church doing this or that for me? Instead of what could I be doing to create more openmindedness here?

On my blog I've expressed my on-the-fence-feelings towards Catholicism made even more difficult by childrearing since I have Leo (and soon Gus) to think about, which I do all the time!