Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Farewell to Summer

Though it's still over a week until its official arrival, fall has begun to sneak in. The sun isn't as intense, the air carries a slight chill, there's dew on the ground, and the hours of daylight keep shrinking. I like fall...I really do...but I love summer. So it is with sadness that I bid it adieu.

I will miss...
*perfectly ripe peaches dripping juice down my face
*the smell of garden fresh tomatoes and cucumbers
*sweet crisp yellow corn on the cob
*pints of multi-color cherry tomatoes
*bundles of brightly-colored zinnias
*waking up to sunshine
*twilight until late in the night
*cookouts
*hanging out at the pool
*flip flops and bare legs

And you? What will you miss?

9 comments:

Laura said...

Being able to walk into work without my jacket on, fresh fruit, eating dinner outside, and tank tops, I love tank tops.

I do love fall though, so I'm pretty happy it's just about here :)

Mark said...

Outdoor concerts, driving with the windows down, being able to walk to class and not be cold, swimming, trips to the lake, walking barefoot...the list goes on and on.

summer is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I will miss backyard cookouts, sitting outside on the swing reading a book, lots of flowers, butterflies and birds, swimming, and beautiful sunshine to name just a few. I too, love summer.

Anonymous said...

I'll miss being silly. Oh wait, thats not seasonal. I'm not too sad to see summer go. Its run its course and fall is by far the best season. Long sleeve t-shirt and pants...perfect.

Jeff said...

Sun in the morning, sun at night, fresh cherries, spending weekends at the pool, lightning bugs and baseball every day. Summer is by far the best season.

Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry!

The sunshine. Flowers in my Mom's backyard. Friday afternoons at MJD's pool which you will have to join sometime.

Wont' miss mosquitoes!

Mark said...

And of course, I'm sure Mom will agree with me when I say I miss tearing out the sidewalk, moving piles of dirt...in and out. Putting in a new sidewalk and planting all the flowers.

I got WAYYYY underpaid.

Rebecca said...

summer ales :)

Matthew said...

to start this tardy post with a phrase I love to use and one I think others hate to hear me say....

You know what pisses me off....

when you go to a football game in late september and it feels like August 14th. Summer is definitely not my favorite season, but I consider it a true asshole when it starts eating into fall. Go away summer. You are no longer welcomed here.

[yeah i know, my "you know what pisses me off" rants are usually much longer...]

Seriously, summer is lame. Fall is pretty much the best thing ever. That's all.