Sunday, January 21, 2007

Read My Travel Article

I invite you to visit the Frederick News-Post online to read a travel article I wrote about winter travel destinations, which was published today. Unfortunately, online you can't view how nice it looks in the actual paper. It's the front page story on the Travel & Outdoors section, pretty much taking up the entire page. A large picture of Niagara Falls takes up the entire top fold. Below the fold are the first few paragraphs of the article (through the middle of the second paragraph on Niagara Falls) plus two smaller pictures and a sidebar I provided. The story then continues on page five with another picture and the rest of the article. The spread is really nice. I was impressed with the job the FNP did. I'm going to try to scan it, and I'll post it if I can. Otherwise you'll just have to believe me.

Today actually turned out to be a pretty good day for this story to go to press as its cold and grey...the exact type of day that makes you want to get away. For a while I was a little worried about whether the story was going to work since it could hardly have been called winter the past month. But I should have known that it would work out when they told me they planned to publish it on January 21---January 21 happens to be my brother Gregory's birthday, and it has a long history of being cold on this date. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the article.

(And Happy Birthday, Gregory!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you got a copy for me. I really want to see it in the actual paper. Congratulations again on a great article.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great article!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it has to do with bandwidth issues or the desire to be able to easily access news or the different formats or (fill in reason here), but the media world has not figured out how to transform art design/layout from the print edition to the online edition.

Ever since USA Today forever changed the world of print media into a more multimodal reading experience other newspaper outlets have come around to the marriage between print, photo, and other visual representations. I'm still waiting for a new media trailblazer to re-invent the presentation of print media on the Web.

[I think it might actually have to do with the difference between print advertising and online advertising.]

I haven't had time to read the article yet. I always thought, though, that I'd be the Dowell sibling with the byline.

I haven't had time to read the article, btw.

Anonymous said...

Some newspapers produce .pdfs of their print version that you can download on their websites. Not sure why more don't do that. Though I thihk the style news is displayed on the web is for quick and easy access.

Anonymous said...

great article !! your writing made me remember what I had seen and wanted me to venture where I had never been I love Niagara Falls and always wanted to go whale watching! after reading your article I'm looking up trips.

Susanne said...

Hi Theresa!! Great Article!! You certainly are blessed with a talent for writting!