Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Pray for Me

On Sunday, I leave to go on my first ever press check. The book I've been working on the past few months is going to be printed, and I'm traveling with the designer to the press to make sure everything is just right. Usually only the designer gets to go, so I'm very excited to be included. Plus the designer is the person I like best at my job, so it will be a fun trip. The problem? I'm going to Winnipeg, Canada. The forecasted weather for the day we arrive is a high of -19 and a low of -29 (yes that's a negative sign in front, yes that's in Farenheit, and no that's not even factoring in the wind chill). I can't even begin to fathom how cold that is. Your nose hairs freeze at +10. Your tears freeze at -10. You probably die at -19. I was about to cry walking to the Metro today, and it was probably in the 20s. I'm not sure how I'll survive it being 40 degrees colder. I think I'm going to pack every piece of clothes I own and wear them all at the same time. Then maybe, just maybe, I'll survive.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it won't feel as cold as you are expecting. And just think how warm you will feel when you get back home.Just make sure to keep your feet warm and dry and cover your face.

Anonymous said...

Freshman year there was a stretch of days when the temperatures were between -10 and -15 and I'm not going to lie...its cold. It felt as though very sharp needles were being jabbed into my face. Not pleasant at all. Why not Italy? Does this book not need a really impressive print job? Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Theresa! That's COLD. Corey and I just checked, and it will be warmer in Antarctica than in Winnipeg next week. Abort Mission! Make them meet you in the hotel room! Or at least get a full face mask toboggan.

Laura said...

Wait a minute, you wrote a book?! Wow, I'm impressed!

Just don't forget to bring something to cover your face while you're outside.

Anonymous said...

"the book I've been working on..."

That sure MAKES it sound like you wrote the damn thing. You get one little newspaper article published, and all the sudden you think you are writing books...


I'm also working on a book. It's all up in my head.

Theresa said...

To clarify...I did not write a book, I edited a book. Although I did re-write a heck of a lot of it. Still, I get no credit for that. Just the editing.

Laura said...

oh, well that's still cool :)

It was zero degrees outside here today and I thought I might die on my way into work... good luck with the -20 stuff

Unknown said...

Just wanted to update you: 8PM local time Winnipeg -17 degrees actual temperature, feels like -40 degrees! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Why the hell is the publisher in Winnipeg? Are there no other publishers in the world? How about finding a publisher in Jamaica?!