Monday, December 18, 2006

It's Cookie Time

Wow, Christmas is only a week away. It's snuck up on me this year. I think part of the blame must be placed on the weather; when it's 70 degrees, it's hard to believe that Christmas is just around the corner. But to get in the mood, I did a little holiday baking this weekend. I scaled back from last year, and I can't match my mom's prodigious output, but I think I ended up with a nice little sample.

Premium Macadamia Macaroons

These are made with coconut, macadamia nuts, and whipped egg whites. The taste reminds me of a cookie Grandma Z. used to have at her house, although these are chewy and those were pretty crunchy. Macadamia and coconut are two of Jeff's favorite flavors, so I mainly made these for him.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe was originally for a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chunks. I'm not a big fan of white chocolate, so I made them chocolate chocolate.

Peanut Butter Kisses

How can something so good only require three ingredients: sugar, eggs, and peanut butter? I think they came out really well this year. Perfectly sized with the right amount of cracking and just-right melted chocolate kisses.

Cookie Dough Truffles



Although the balls taste just like chocolate chip dough, which I love, the recipe doesn't call for eggs, which makes the dough safe for raw consumption. Dipped in chocolate, they're pretty decadent. I started out trying to make them look beautiful, but it takes forever to dip them properly, so I just dunked them. Tastes just as good.

And a week ago, I made Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. I don't have a picture of these, but they were really good. I've always been a somewhat odd kid in that I don't really love chocolate chip cookies. I like the chocolate chips, but the cooked dough doesn't do much for me. And I never really liked oatmeal cookies because they usually came with raisins, which I don't like. But this cookie is perfect. The interesting texture of oatmeal cookies, the deliciousness of chocolate chips, and the delightful hint of cinnamon. Mmmm.

Let me know if you want any of the recipes. None were too complicated and they all taste great. Jeff's still trying to decide which is his favorite...which means he has to have a tasting every night.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look tasty...but I think the 40 dozen or so Mom and I (and a little of Mark) baked today may be slightly better. Hard to tell from just looking, but just by looks most of ours look award winning.

I mixed up the peanut butter cookie batter and also couldn't believe it was only 3 ingredients. I think we finally found a good chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe, but don't worry Anne, its hard to dethrone yours.

Good thing I can gain a few pounds because I don't think theres a cookie we made today that I won't eat.

Anonymous said...

that's so domestic of you

Anonymous said...

Those Macadamia ones look gorgeous.I think they would take the Blue Ribbon at the Fair. We made 13 different kinds yesterday and if time allows we have more to make.

Theresa said...

Yeah the macadamia ones were the surprise hit. Both Jeff and I took cookies to work yesterday, and they were the first to go at both places. Although one of the women I work with commented that the cookie dough truffles were so good they were "obscene".

Anonymous said...

I think I would like the recipe for the macadamia ones. Looking at them makes me hungry.

Mark said...

Did you tell that lady to back down, they are just cookies? She most definently stepped over the line.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I am really impressed! Theresa, you could open a cookie store and I would be your best customer!

Anonymous said...

Obscene? I don't think thats the proper adjective at all. I personally think she was obscene for even considering and then actually using that word to describe the cookies. But if you do take Annes advice and open a cookie shop, you already have a name for the truffles, "Obscene Cookie Dough Truffles".

Anonymous said...

mom will have to vouch for the quality of our cookies from last week, since there are no pictures.

pictures would not do my cookies justice.

and my cookies spread holiday joy by not only feeding those at the UD Alumni CoC event, but also everyone at the UofL party on Saturday. I am so the man.

Mark said...

C is for cookie, thats good enough for me.

Meaning, i dont care who made them, i just want to eat them.