Saturday, December 30, 2006

He's Gone...But Nothing Has Changed

Is it just me or does the death of Saddam Hussein seem rather anti-climactic? I expected it to seem bigger, more monumental. For those of my generation, Saddam Hussein was the biggest, baddest man out there. Sure, there was also Slobodan Milosevec and Augusto Pinochet, who were pretty bad men, but they weren't, for those of us growing up in America, on the same-scale as Hussein. The US tacitly supported Pinochet, and we turned our back on Yugoslavia, so neither of these other two men played much into our collective conscious. But Hussein, he was the definition of bad, an awakening to those of us who were just children in the early 90s that there were people in the world capable of horrific things.

I remember writing in my journal during the first Gulf War about Saddam Hussein. I butchered the heck out of his name--I think it must have been the first Arabic name I'd ever come across--but I wrote about him. He was big enough to me at age nine that he made his way into my journal.

It's been over sixteen years since then. And Saddam has never really left our consciousness. The toppling of the statue of him in Iraq was momentous. The discovery of him hiding in a hole in Tikrit seemed huge. His death should have been big. But it just doesn't seem that way. He might be gone, yet nothing has really changed. Evil remains.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saddam was an evil monster and guilty as charged but to me it just seems like "we" (America) did something wrong by following through on the execution (hanging at that...pretty barbaric) that the majority of the civilized world condemned. Sure you can say the Iraqis did it, but lets not kid ourselves, this was all for America. I don't see how Saddam's death changes anything.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Omitting blog! I in fact ardour how it is casually on my eyes and also the facts are well written. I am wondering how I may be notified whenever a new despatch has been made. I have subscribed to your rss supported by which necessity do the trick! Secure a well turned out time!
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]