Monday, January 09, 2006

2006 Resolutions

I got a slow start on the year, so I'm pretending that today is actually New Year's, and I'm beginning my resolutions now. And in the hopes that having them out in the open will make me more likely to stick to them, I'm presenting my 2006 Resolutions.

1. Exercise regularly. I go through phases with this, and I'd like to be more consistent. I'd like to be more fit overall.

2. Figure out what I want to do in relation to a career/job. Am I just going to stick with this job or look for something new? Do I want to go back to school? If so, where, and what do I need to do to get into that program? Once I decide, act.

3. Take advantage of living in DC. Since I don't plan to ever live here again once Jeff is done, I want to be sure I've done everything the city has to offer. So I'm going to go to museum exhibits that seem interesting, check out museums I've never been to, go to a performance at the Kennedy Center, see a play, try new restaurants, and take day or weekend trips to nearby sites.

4. Learn something new. I'm going to look for a class to take and either learn a new language or how to cook Asian food or how to take good photographs or the history of the American south or something else like that.

5. Find a cause I believe in and donate both time and money to that cause. Time to actually do something.

6. Write more. I'd like to do better at keeping up with this blog. I'd also like to write more for myself. And the big goal is to get paid to write something. Even if it's just a few dollars, I want to write something that someone else wants to publish and pay me for.

So that's it. In general, I just want to be more active and do as much with my life as I can. I want to spend my time doing productive things or things I enjoy (reading, going to the pool, going out with friends, etc) instead of just sitting around doing nothing or letting my mind rot while watching TV shows I don't even care about. Once in a while, the sitting around and rotting is needed, but not nearly as much as I do. So here's hoping that 2006 is a fun, productive, and rewarding year.

No comments: