Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I think it's going to snow on President Bush's parade. Or at least it's going to be really, really cold. Perhaps that is God's way of expressing his disapproval for Bush or at least for all the money being spent on his inauguration. Or maybe that's just what happens in winter.

Anyhow, tomorrow is the Presidential Inauguration. A day to celebrate "the peaceful transfer of power," according to W himself. Now if we'd elected someone else that might be somewhat true, but I don't think the re-inauguration of Bush really counts as a transfer of power. And how many instances of non-peaceful transfer have there been here in the US anyway? I think Bush has a little too much Iraq on the brain. A little too much Iraq rhetoric at least. I'd be giving him too much credit to say that he actually gives the situation in Iraq that much thought. Or maybe he does these days, since he didn't do the thinking when he should have and now we're in a huge mess. Whatever. I don't want to get into that. What I want to know is how all of this inauguration stuff got so out of hand. When did it become necessary to spend millions of dollars that we don't have just so the man we elected to be President months ago can take his oath of office? It all seems so unnecessary to me. And not just unnecessary, but also embarrassing. We're living in a world that's facing a lot of hardship currently, yet we seem not to have any regard for that. No, I don't think that we should all dress in black and go into mourning until the world's problems are solved, but I do think we ought to have some restraint and make the process at least a bit more subdued than it has been in the past. It's become somewhat of a foreign concept here in America, but we don't always have to make things bigger and more expensive. We don't have to collectively keep up with the Joneses. Just a thought.

But anyhow, I must say that there is one part of this whole Inauguration that I will enjoy, and that is me sleeping in. Tomorrow is a holiday for all federal employees who work in the District, so yay for me. Too bad for you.

No comments: