Monday, August 30, 2004

What's Big, Shiny, and Looks Really Good on My Left Ring Finger?

My brand new, super beautiful engagement ring, of course!

On Friday, Jeff managed to surprise me, Ms. Nosy, as I was referred to by both him and my mom in the planning stages of this event, with a proposal and the most gorgeous ring in the world. While I wasn't oblivious to the fact that a proposal was on the horizon, I had no idea it was going to happen Friday. Jeff apparently asked my parents two weeks prior and began planning with them. Right before it happened, Matthew was also pulled into the planning. It all unfolded as follows: Jeff flew into Louisville early Friday morning and was picked up at the airport by Matthew, who had conveniently taken Mark to school that morning and told me that he was then going to work for a bit. Together Matthew and Jeff had breakfast and then went to a florist to buy me a bunch of daisies (my favorite). After that, Matthew took Jeff up to St. A to get the car from my mom. While Jeff drove himself out to Bernheim Forest, an arboretum near my house that I have been a lover of since I was a little kid, Matthew came home. Having asked me the day before if I was interested in going to Bernheim on Friday, I was ready to go. There was nothing suspicious about this to me as we often go out there, especially when the weather is as nice as it was Friday. Once out there, Matthew says he wants to check out the big lake and I agree. Near the lake is a "Quiet Garden" full of flowers and lily pond. Jeff at this time was positioned behind the wood building in the center of the garden. I, of course, don't know this and not having any idea there is an agenda to my visit, I piddle around the lily pond, throwing berries from a bush at bugs in the water. Matthew lets me do this for a while, but knowing that Jeff is waiting, cajoles me into checking out a bunch of flowers. I look at them and then look up and see Jeff. Matthew disappears, and I ask, "What are you doing here?". He's all dressed up and holding flowers, so really it was pretty clear what he was doing, but all I could think was that he was supposed to be at work finishing up a really important paper he'd been busy with forever. Getting down on one knee, Jeff proceeded to propose, and did so in a very fine fashion, properly nervous and all. At the end, he gave me an antique style diamond ring, and I gladly accepted his proposal. It was perfect. He did a fabulous job with location, the proposal, the ring, everything. I could not have asked for more.

So yes, now I like to use my left hand a lot and I am easily distracted by the shimmering mass adorning my ring finger. It's very sparkly. I'm also trying to plan a wedding, although I'm not really sure how one goes about that. Just looking at magazines apparently doesn't allow it to magically happen. We're thinking late July or early August of next year, and we know it will be here in Louisville, but beyond that, we have nothing. Hopefully soon though since I move to DC a week from today.

Craziness. But good craziness. I'm sure you will all here more about it than you want to over the next year, but just deal with it. If you're good, I'll let you come to the wedding, and that, I promise, will be a really good time.

No comments: