Thursday, January 22, 2004

Winter Magic

All week the weather has been beautiful. We've been going on walks and runs in shorts and t-shirts. We've been convinced that it's spring and that island weather is just around the corner. Boy were we fooled. Last night a tremendous storm moved in with gusty winds, rolling thunder, and pounding rain. Today it was snow. Thick wet snowflakes have been falling all day. Here, it melts as soon as it hits the concrete, but it leaves a layer on cars and plants. In outlying areas, it is apparently accumulating. Yes, it is still winter, even here in Athens.

As anyone who knows me knows, I hate winter. Cold is the worst feeling I can imagine. Walking to and from the house where I tutor was not really my idea of a good time, although there is something about cold, wintery weather that makes you feel really alive. Perhaps it's because you can feel every inch of your body as it is attacked by the cold. Anyhow, despite my dislike of winter weather, it was neat today to watch Konstantinos, the 4 year old I tutor, marvel at the snow. It's a pretty rare occurrence here, and for a four year old, it's pure magic. Every five minutes or so, he'd run to the window to make sure it was still coming down. When I took him out on the balcony for a few minutes so he could feel it, he put his hands up in the air as if praising the winter gods and then tried hard to catch a few flakes. When I showed him how to make a slushball with what had accumulated on a table, he was in heaven. It was fun. Makes you think about how magical the world really is. Made for a good day all in all. Even though it was darn cold.

No comments: