Thursday, September 09, 2010

Garden Bounty

When we stepped outside this morning to water the garden, there was a slight chill to the air. Not cold by any means, but not hot like it has been for months, the heat and the humidity present regardless of what the clock read. I realized that fall is on its way, and there won't be many more weeks of watering the garden left. Many of our tomato plants have already begun to shrivel. We're in a losing battle with squash bugs. The overly prolific cucumber plants have only a little left to give. The okra is no longer impossible to keep up with. Our garden--Jeff's garden to be honest--has a few more meals to give us, but then it will be done. I will miss its bounty.

3 comments:

Gregory said...

I see you don't have the pretzel bread plant yet.

Matthew said...

Oh the elusive pretzel bread plant. You should look into that Greg. Make the big bucks.

What do you do with those peppers? Peppers are interesting. They can be used for so much (in general), except when I grow them I don't know what to do with a specific variety.

Theresa said...

We haven't quite figured out what to do with those peppers either, especially because i get about 20 ripe ones a day. We use them in a few recipes, but not enough to make much of a dent. So in the meantime, I've frozen a lot of them with the hopes that I'll come up with a good idea soon. And I'm drying some to use as pepper flakes.