Monday, March 01, 2010

Six Things I Like About Durham

Because I love a good challenge, I'm taking on Lisa's assignment from the comments to my post on Six Things I Miss About D.C. So without further ado, my list of Six Things I Like About Durham.

1. Our House
Though it still needs a few pieces of furniture, though we still haven't emptied all the boxes, though some of the walls still beg for decor, I like our house. It's cozy and comfortable. It's got great architecture. It has a nice backyard. It has room for guests. It feels like home.

2. The Durham Literacy Center
In searching for a way to meet people and get involved, I found the Durham Literacy Center, and recently I've started volunteering there as an ESOL teacher. I love it. The center is really well run, with a training program that empowers volunteers to really be effective. The students are amazing--smart, funny, enthusiastic, and hardworking. They work hard all day, yet manage to be eager students in the evening. A combination of refugees from countries such as Iraq and Burma and immigrants from Latin America and Africa, these people came to America for a better life and are working hard to make that happen for themselves. And the other people who volunteer at the center are like-minded individuals who I enjoy working with. I really look forward to the nights I get to teach at the DLC.

3. How Friendly People Are
In D.C., not talking was the norm. It was a rare occasion when you talked to the person sitting next to you, legs practically touching, on the Metro. Passing on the sidewalk was not cause for hello. Heck, half the time you could get on the elevator at work and your co-workers wouldn't even bother with small talk. Here, everyone says hello. Everyone asks how you are. Everyone talks to each other. Sometimes, after all those years in D.C., it's a bit unnerving. I want to swivel my head around to see if there's someone else behind me they're talking to. And sometimes when I really just want to grab a gallon of milk and go, the chatty cashier having long conversations with everyone in front of me makes me impatient. But overall it's nice. Not to mention that we have great neighbors. In D.C., we never knew our neighbors (even though we literally shared a wall). Here, despite the crappy winter that's kept everyone inside, we've already met four sets of neighborhoods, and they all seem great. (Not to mention that the woman across the street is also from Louisville. Small world.)

4. All the Stuff within Walking/Biking Distance
Since we don't have good public transportation here, and since driving involves taking your life into your hands, it's particularly awesome that we live within walking or biking distance of many things. The library, the farmer's market, the Durham Bulls stadium, Duke University (Jeff's work), and a slew of restaurants and shops are all within easy walking and biking distance of our house. Once the weather warms up a bit, we're going to be able to leave the cars in the driveway the majority of the time and explore by foot and bike.

5. Being Able to Grill
In D.C., local ordinance prohibited grilling within 100 feet or something like that of a building, and our condo rules prohibited grilling period. It sucked. No chargrilled burgers. No steaks. No beer can chicken. Our poor grill had to be put in storage. But not anymore. Now it's out on the porch, ready for backyard barbecues and heavy summer use. In fact, last night we grilled up a pair of steaks, and oh my were they good.

6. ......
I'll have to get back to you on number six. I'm at a loss. I'm hopeful that once summer rolls around I'll have many more to add to the list. I really should be prohibited from moving to a new city in winter, because I hate winter, and I find it very, very hard to find good things about a place in the winter. But in summer everything is so much better. And also, I heard that the beach is less than three hours away. If true (and if the beach is good), then my glasses might turn out to be rose-colored after all.

5 comments:

Magnifique said...

I visited a friend in Durham last September and two things I really enjoyed were strolling through Duke Gardens and sampling the ice cream at Maple View Farm. Both are warm weather activities, though...

Lisa said...

Thanks for taking on the assignment.

I agree with you on the grilling part. While we lived in our apt, grilling was prohibited and now that we've got our house and a new mean grill, we are grilling out a lot. Actually, tonight!

I look forward to a future post about all the things within walking distance once Spring rolls around.

The Duncan Family said...

Things I like about Durham (or the Triangle):
1. DPAC has great shows in a newly built venue.
2. Parizade- one of my fave restaurants
3. The Durham Farmer's Market in the summer
4. Weekend beach trips- We even made a day trip to the beach a few weeks ago and saw a snowman on the beach!
5. Saffron- an awesome Indian restaurant in Morrisville- worth the drive
6. The affordability- you can buy much more house here than most places.
7. The mild winter- I know you don't believe in this yet, but if you compared our winter to Louisville's or DC's, you have to say that it was MUCH milder.
8. Franklin Street- Maybe because I associate it with my college days, but I love hanging out on Franklin or on UNC's campus.
9. Mellow Mushroom- pizza place in the American Tobacco Campus
10. It's kid-friendly- I know you all don't have kids yet, but it's a good place to have a young family.
11. Foster's Market- 2 locations (Chapel Hill & Durham) and both are unique and yummy
12. Duke Gardens- beautiful place for a walk or a picnic
13. The diversity- Most people are NOT from around here, and you'll find people from ALL walks of life, with all different beliefs and backgrounds.
14. Beyu Cafe- a new fave of mine that I found on lunch break from jury duty. A cute and delicious restaurant on Main Street in downtown Durham.
15. The medical care- I find a lot of comfort knowing that I live in an area where many people come from all over the country to get the best medical care. For us, it's just down the street!
16. Being in the pseudo South- I like the friendliness and hospitality that you find here, but I don't feel like I'm in the deep South.

I can imagine that it's super tough moving to a new place during one of the coldest winters in a long time, but hang in there! Can't wait to watch your "Things I Like about Durham" list grow! :)

-Kristen

Laura said...

sort of off topic, but I saw an episode of Oprah the other day in which her favorite designer, Nate, painted someone's wood paneling white. It looked really good and it made me think of you :)

Gregory said...

Boo Duke! Boo! Boo! Boo!