Thursday, December 03, 2009

Don't Move In Without...

In less than two weeks, barring any major disasters, Jeff and I will take ownership of our house. We'll be moving in with practically nothing, literally an air mattress, some clothes, and a bit of food. Our full-fledged move-in will be after Christmas, when we'll drive our belongings from Louisville to Durham with the help of family. We're moving from a one-bedroom apartment to a 1900 sq. foot house, so let's just say that there's going to be a lot of empty space. We're okay with that. We plan to gradually fill it all in as we find items that we really like and the money to buy them with.

But there are some things you just can't live without. Toilet paper for instance.

We want to be sure we have all that necessary type stuff on hand when we move in. I've been brainstorming and making lists, but I'm sure I'm overlooking plenty of things. So let me know, what was the one thing you ran out to get as soon as you moved into your house because you'd forgotten all about it but desperately needed it? Or what did you forget for months but then need and wish you had had it on standby all along? What will I need that I have no notion of? What can't I live without for even a few days? And what should I do or arrange to have done in the time span from when we close to when we actually move our furniture in?

All ideas appreciated.

8 comments:

Hank said...

As you know, I move a lot. There is one thing I almost always forget and then kick myself for forgetting.

That object? A shower curtain.

There is nothing worse than sweating your way through a move in August in D.C. only to not be able to take a shower when you get done.

Other than that (and toilet paper), you can generally get by the first 24 hours.

One other nicety: An overnight bag with enough stuff to get you showered and dressed. Beats having to go through things to unpack your toothbrush.

Toronto real estate agent said...

Oh good luck with the moving and getting used to the new place. Making lists is great and very useful. Also, LABEL all your boxes etc. before the moving - you won't be lost or confused thanks to that.

Elli

Laura said...

It's always good to have trash bags around so you don't have to leave your trash sitting on the counter or anything :)

Alison Lum said...

I'm all about the cleaning when moving into a new space. Lots and lots of paper towels, scrubbing bubbles for the bathrooms, 409 disinfectant for the kitchen, windex, and floor cleaning solutions are a must. I know that we had to buy (outdoor) garbage cans for our house (the previous owners took theirs with them!) and I always end up throwing lots away after a move-in (why I can't just throw stuff away during packing is yet to be determined....). :)

We're so excited for you guys, we're hoping to come visit this spring/summer!!

Matthew said...

ice tray, glass, bourbon. have to start the first morning off right. and the next one. and the next one. and...

Lisa said...

paper towels, toilet paper, toothbrush and paste, soap, a few sharpie markers, pen and paper...I will let you know more next week!

Susanne said...

A toaster oven and foil!! So you're not tempted to eat out every day those first few days!!

Phil said...

If the house is uninhabited for more than a couple weeks, I recommend insect poison. It is amazing how fast those little buggers take over a building!

Shower curtain and HOOKS. We had the curtain...and nothing to hang it on.

Oh and Jeff might like a little something special the first night or two. You know what I mean...Stuffed peppers - those things really retain their heat! So what ever you need for that.