Monday, November 09, 2009

Silly Zoo, That's What Lions are Supposed to Do

Check out this article in the Washington Post: At the Zoo, No Escape for a Deer in the Lions' Den

Is it just me or does anyone else think they should have just left the deer in there? I, for one, am happy to see that the lions, probably zoo animals since birth, still retain their natural instinct to hunt and kill. I think it would have been awesome to witness this. I certainly wouldn't have run away screaming nor would I have cheered for the deer; I'd be cheering for the lions.

Also, didn't the zoo realize that this would be one less meal they'd have to provide if they just left the deer in the cage? It died anyways, so now it's just wasted meat. Plus, anyone who has lived in the area knows that Rock Creek Park has a serious deer overpopulation problem. It's not like they're endangered. And, finally, the deer jumped into the cage. Obviously, he's not the brightest of the bunch, so let's let survival of the fittest do it's job. What do you say?

2 comments:

Gregory said...

They definitely should have let nature run its course. Anything that would have happened would have been a lot more natural than anything the sanitized zoo portrays.

Matthew said...

I guess education ends when the bloodshed begins. If you watch the third video that is linked from the article, you see that a cop shows up and starts giving orders. I would have told that cop a little knock knock joke that goes like this:

Me: Knock Knock
Cop: Who's There?
Me: Go Fuck Yourself.

In other words, I would have stuck around for the festivities. I mean education lesson.