Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pomp, Circumstance, and a Few Good Laughs

This past weekend we traveled up to Urbana-Champaign with my family for Gregory's graduation from the University of Illinois. I'd never been up there before so it was nice to finally see where he's spent the past four years.

The highlight of the weekend was the graduation ceremony of the School of Architecture, primarily because Gregory was chosen to be the undergraduate speaker. I must say I was extremely surprised when I heard that he tried out. You see, Gregory's not one of those kids who does something because it will look good on his resume, because others think he should do it, or because of any other superficial reason like that. Gregory's never been one to aspire to be president of any such club or the most over-achieving kid in his class. He does what he wants, how we wants to do it. So that meant that Gregory must have really had something to say.

I must also admit that I was quite surprised to hear that he was actually awarded the job of speaker. Not, mind you, because I didn't think he had something good to say or because I didn't think he'd do an excellent job. Mainly, I thought he wouldn't get it because I know my brother, and I know how most schools work. Gregory is funny, witty, and often irreverent. He's not sentimental and would not be giving the type of "look at all we accomplished, I love everyone so much, nothing will ever be greater than this" speech that many administrators want. In the end, I was wrong about the school. I was right about Gregory, however...he was funny, witty, and irreverent. And his delivery was great. I was most impressed. And I heard many compliments throughout the day I suggest you go visit his blog to watch the speech.

He's headed to Chicago for the summer to work for a firm that does architectural forensics (intriguing, isn't it?) and then to Ball State in the fall to start work on his master's degree. When that first day of class rolls around, I'll have two brothers who are officially more educated than I am. Damn, I have smart siblings!

Anyhow, it was a fun weekend, and I just wanted to say one more time...Way to go, Gregory!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Irreverent- I like that word. Not as bad a negative connotation, as other words that could be used to describe me. Glad you enjoyed it.

megan said...

you should be so proud. what did your mama & papa feed ya'll? seriously- you four turned out so well...