Saturday, October 28, 2006

Bike + Wet Leaves = No Good

Yesterday it rained. Overnight it poured. I woke up at 6am and heard it coming down hard. When I got out of bed around 9am, however, everything had cleared, and it was a beautiful day. Blue skies, puffy clouds, and decent temperatures. So I decided to pull my bike out of storage and take it for what might be a last ride before winter sets in. I decided to ride through Rock Creek Park for a number of reasons: it's nearby, it's always busy (when riding alone, I don't like to be in isolated places), and it's pretty. Today it was particularly pretty with the trees changing. A few times, red, yellow, and orange leaves showered down on me. A couple of big puddles got me wet, but for the most part it was a nice ride. Then I got back to the house and decided to ride my bike through the yard up to the front door, as I always do. Ooops. Bikes don't like to go uphill on a carpet of wet leaves topping wet grass. My bike completely flew out from under me, and I ended up laying in the wet yard with the bike on top of me. I've got some "carpet" burn and a few bruises as evidence. I'm fine though. And I'm sure it looked pretty funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your crash. sounds like you are ok.

i rode with friends in Iroquois Park today. part of the lower loop is closed to vehicles, so there was nothing to blow the leaves off the road. it was a little sketchy doing a good speed over these golden leaves, but it also felt like we were on the yellow brick road to Oz. It was competely unreal. Defintely the best ride of the year, and the extra hour of morning light made it even better.

Anonymous said...

I knew by the title that something happened. Glad you are ok and didn't hit your heador get more than carpet burns. If anyone was around I imagine they laughed only after they saw you were ok.