Sunday, July 09, 2006

Three Years, Three Jobs...Time for Number Four

Friday July 7 was my last day at The Children's Partnership. If I mention that I first started there on June 20, 2005, perhaps you won't be surprised that I've left this job. That was after all, a span of one year and seventeen days between my first and last day, which is actually a record length of time spent at one job in my post-college life. In the three years since I graduated, I have had three jobs. This is the first job, however, that I have actually quit, since my first two jobs were offered and accepted with the understanding that they would only last for a year.

Quitting a job is awkward, especially when your office consists of only you and one other person at the time you give your resignation. But it was something I needed to do, and I survived even despite my abnormally strong dislike of any sort of confrontation. And no, it wasn't actually confrontational by normal standards, but considering I find returning unused items to a store to be a sort of confrontation, this was seriously confrontational for me. Ohh the discomfort. What exactly am I supposed to say to remarks like "I'm in shock" or "This is such a huge loss for us." I mean, I know it's a huge loss...I'm pretty irreplacable. But it's not like I can say that - I act humble, even if I'm not. (kidding, kidding)

I wonder what it says about me that I have had so many jobs in such a short span. Clearly, it hasn't hurt me as I've always had another job lined up to replace whatever job I'm leaving, but I haven't met too many other people who are on the same path as I am. I mean I know people who've worked at coffee shops longer than I've worked at professional jobs. I like to tell myself that I just haven't found the right job yet, and that when I do, I'll stay there. (I mean, I did stay at the Louisville Zoo for three years, so it's not like I have no sense of job commitment...) But part of me wonders if I just have unreasonable expectations and am too difficult to satisfy.

I have a hard time accepting the idea that work is just something I have to do, whether I like it or not. If I only get this one life, I don't want to spend most of it doing something I don't like. That can't be the point of life, can it? Working for a paycheck just doesn't cut it for me. I need stimulation and challenges. I want to think that what I am doing is important and is somehow leaving a positive mark on the world. I want to feel that although I may be able to think of other ways that I might want to spend my time, that just maybe I'd want to do what I'm doing at work even if it wasn't my job. I know that's probably not all that reasonable, but I don't think it should be entirely impossible. In fact, I'm hoping that my new job proves it even a teensy bit reasonable. I'll let you know. Tomorrow's my first day as Editor at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Laura said...

I understand not wanting to stay in the same job... even though I've been in the AF for three years, I haven't had the same job the whole time and year seems to be just about enough for me. I've been in my current job for a year now and even though I've liked it I definitely feel ready to move on. Anyway, the new job sounds great! I can't wait to hear more about it :)

Anonymous said...

I am wishing you luck, even though I know you will do great in this job. I admire the fact that you are always looking out for something better and more in your field of interst and refuse to get complacent. Not sure where that trait came from :>).
MOM

Anonymous said...

I'm just going to call it as I see it...You are a job whore. That's exactly what it is. Job after job after job. But who's saying whores are bad?

Anonymous said...

I like how greg leaves comments even when he sees you everyday.

i think he just wanted to say whore.

i don't have anything to say about jobs. i try not to do them.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great you keep looking for a job that will make you happy and one yu enjoy! Life is too short to be unhappy! I tell my kids all the time, quit, you were looking for a job when you found this one! Patrick seems really happy with being an EMT! But, he even said it's great for now! and Lisa is starting a new career, and she is really happy and excited! I hope you like your new job, working at the Smithsonian has to be great! However, if you find you don't like it, I will be the first one to tell you to change jobs.