Sunday, December 05, 2004

It's Not Charlie Brown's Tree

Today Jeff and I went and got our Christmas tree. We went to a farm and wandered through rows and rows of trees, examining the trees from all angles, discarding trees that from far away looked perfect but which exhibited flaws like bare spots and odd growth patterns upon closer inspection, and debating the merits of the five or six different types of trees growing on the farm. Jeff originally wanted a small tree. He thought that we didn't have enough stuff to decorate a big tree with and that we didn't have enough space for a big one. I let him think that I agreed with that theory, but I was after a big one all along. I mean, who wants a Charlie Brown tree?

It's been well over a decade since I last went Christmas tree shopping. Heck it might be closer to a decade and a half. I'm not sure. Mom, when was that? As a small child, my family always travelled down to the Hay Market to pick out a tree. I remember wandering through the aisles with each of us picking out our favorites. I remember always picking out a tree that was much too big for our house as my favorite. I didn't have much of a sense of proportion then. I still don't really. But mostly what I remember is the smell. The wonderful undeniably Christmas-y smell of fresh pine trees. That's what I missed most when we switched to fake Christmas trees. When it was determined that it was the tree which was leading to all of my brother's holiday illnesses, we had to switch. I wasn't very happy about that, but it wasn't my decision. Since then, I've come to peace with it. Hey, it's a lot less messy. (Until today, I had forgotten how many needles live trees like to leave on the floor.) But I must say that I've already forgiven the tree for its mess, because it looks beautiful and smells divine.

So as I'm sure you all guessed, I got the tree I wanted. It's a white pine that touches the ceiling and has a hearty diameter to go with it. We bought lights yesterday (multi-colored ones, because I like they way they look when you squinch up your eyes and stare at it and can see nothing but light), and we stocked up on some ornaments today (to go with the ones that Jeff claimed from his mom while we were in Seattle for Thanksgiving and the ones I will be claiming at home over Christmas). And we have a gorgeous tree skirt that my mom made for me, which looks very much like the one we have at home and makes the tree look and feel just right. So this evening we combined the tree, the lights, the ornaments, and the skirt to make a masterpiece in the corner of our living room. A few other Christmas decorations throughout the house give the place a nice holiday feel.

Hope everyone else is starting to get into the season too. It's hard not to enjoy it. And if you find yourself not feeling quite as jolly as you should be, go into the room with your Christmas tree, turn out the lights, and squinch up your eyes. If you don't feel Christmas-y then, than you're just one big Scrooge.

No comments: