Monday, March 15, 2004

What Exactly Do You Have In That Bag?

This morning I took the metro into town. No big deal. I take the metro a couple of times every week. I didn't think anything of it as I bought my ticket and waited for it to arrive. But when I sat down, things changed. A man and woman wearing dark sunglasses and carrying a black duffel bag sat down across from me. Honestly, that's not at all unusual in Greece. People wear sunglasses all the time and use the metro to get to the port and other places where luggage is not at all unusual. Yet today I got to feeling really on edge. One part of my brain told me to move or to get off of the metro at the next stop. The other part told me to quit being irrational and just go on with my normal life. It was weird, because I'd never before felt like this. I'd never thought that I could be somewhere where a terrorist attack could happen. Sure I've not wanted to fly or whatnot, but since the attack on Spain, it seems that the seemingly benign is perhaps a bit dangerous. I mean, who would have ever thought Spain would be a target. And the strange part about the situation was not really knowing if I was being irrational. On one hand you can't freak out over everything. But on the other hand if you have the chance to protect yourself from something bad, you don't want to waste that opportunity. The thing with terrorist attacks is that there really is no way to know. It's not like you're running out in front of traffic without looking, driving drunk, or playing with a loaded gun. You're just living your ordinary life when tragedy strikes. So I guess what I'm saying is that there is nothing you can do but live and live everyday as best as you can. And it can't hurt to say your prayers, keep your eyes open, and smile at every single person you see (Kate and I are convinced that smiling is the solution...I'll explain more on that in a separate post). Anyhow, that's all I have to say about that. Just a strange feeling I thought I'd share.

No comments: